Home› Marmoset

Triangles showing on bake/normal map

Hi everyone! I'm working on this game asset and having issues with baking. I'm also using Marmoset Toolbag 4.02. As you can see in the picture, there are triangles that are showing up after I bake. I exported from 3DsMax and made sure to triangulate the model so that the triangles wouldn't switch between programs. I can't seem to figure out what's causing these triangles, is it the topology of the low poly that's causing this? Does it need cleaning up? Would redoing the piece do the trick? Anything helps, thanks!

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

a normalmap can only do so much, if the lowpoly shading is bad, if the normalmap doesnt have enough resolution etc it can only fail compensating for these things.

what does the lowpoly look like without normalmaps?

what do the UVs look like?

i guess its all one polysoup with one smoothinggroup, creating a unch of nasty artifacts on the lowpoly. harden some edhes, split some UVs or add more geo to help the normalmapmap

• MilkMaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Oof, sorry about the super late reply. I was in school and completely forgot that I posted this. But yeah, the problem was that it was all under one smoothing group, so I had to split the smoothing groups and UVs a bit. I know it may not mean much due to the amount of time that passed, but thank you very much for your response! I truly appreciate it!