Home Technical Talk

Placing Haircards are so hard for me, could somebody help?

Klinschi
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Klinschi polycounter lvl 2

I'm so bad at hair cards laying. It's so bad and hard for me to control the hair. Then the hair also looks edgy in different places because there is no smoothness on it.

I've been sitting morning to night for a week now and just having trouble even doing the first row of hair.

I use Zbrush with the BEND Curve Modifier for this, but it doesn't do any good.

I feel like I have too little control over the hair so I'm now reluctant to use 3dsmax for more control.

I think putting the hair on a head in Zbrush is a bit hard because with this albedo that I do in FIBERSHOP it's very hard to tell if the

hair is crossing over

Is 3dsmax better for this and can I also soften the hair cards to work better with it?

Even the albedo haircards looks bad, so you dont have the feeling, working with real hair, like in maya or 3dsmax.

Greetings ;-(

Replies

• Klinschi
    Offline / Send Message

I tried 3dsmax again and i can say, you have better controll over the hair and the albedo looks nice. Far better than in zbrush.

I used unter Subdivision Surface the USE NURMS SUBDIVISION under Editable Poly and it looks soooo smooth, but suddenly when i export the Haircard to Marmoset, all the smoothness is gone? So how should i work in 3dsmax, when i cant use the NURMS Subdivision?

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

That's a horrible way to do hair. You'll be pulling out more of your own than successfully placing the virtual kind using this method.

Just do it in Max and use meshes with a Turbosmooth modifier or the like on top. Sounds like you are not paying attention to the vertex normals if it looks faceted (?) in Marmoset. Use the Edit Normals modifier to check what's up prior to export and reset/smooth as needed.

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

i'd also say use a different app for that, but its personal preference

i assume you could turn on dynamic subdivision in zbrush to make it smoother? to get rid of the faceted look you can turn on smooth normals at render time, it won't help in the viewport but you could do a quick BPR rendering to check what it looks like with smooth normals

• Klinschi
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you so much for both answers!

I tried 3dsmax and it was a lot better, but there are some things that are confusing.

I like it, to place the haircards , when the "USE NURMS SUBDIVISION" is on. Its makes the Haircard smooth, when I place it. It stretchs the Texture so smooth, as it if would be real hair.

Not work with USE NURMS SUBDIVISION under Editable Poly i dont like. The problem is..

The NURMS SUBDIVISION is only a smooth preview, because, when i export the cards into marmoset, they are all edgy again withouth smooth.

So i dont know how exactly the pipeline is, but..

After placing 1000 Haircards with NURMS Subdivision, i want to turn it of and apply to EVERY Haircard a Turbosmooth. But i cant select all Objects and give them Turbosmooth at once, so i have to click on every single card. Thats time intensive.

To apply the turbosmooth BEFORE placing, is not a good idea for me, because its not good looking, because when i move the haircards, it moves edgy and the texture looks badly strechted.

Could somebody help me with that? Is there an easier way to place the cards , but WHEN they are smoothed?

Greetings Klinschi aka Kathrin

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

why can't you put the modifier on all haircards at once? that should work, if the setting/modifier gets turned off on export, place an edit poly modifier on top, this way you "lock" the geometry in for export.

• Klinschi
    Offline / Send Message

Hello, and thank you so much for the answer. It worked! Selecting all, then Make Turbosmooth.

There is something else I discovered, what my problems are. In this scene for my hair cards, i used the albedo, the opacity, and the normal map. My problem is now, that I have placed more than 6 Haircards and i can't figure out, because I cannot see, which cards are overlapped and which not.

Are there any settings you guys make FIRST with maps, or light, or Material appearance, before placing hair cards?

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

oh no, just apply turbosmooth as a modifier from the modifier list :)

• Klinschi
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you, it worked ;-)

So here is an example of how far I am. Could somebody give a critique? It does not look realistic;-( I don't mean the quality of the hair, I mean the placement.

It looks so straight, so hard, even after turbosmooth in 3dsmax. :-( What did I wrong?

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

i think if you look at @thomasp artstation you will find one of the answers by checking his textures. your texture is just way too denseand straight on far too few planes to work properly. secondly i would suggest just searching for successful haircard meshes, any games you specifically like? check if pages like sketchfab have the models ripped and ready to examine.

• Klinschi
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you so much! Yes, I don't know why it's so dense, and what I'm doing wrong. Here are the albedos. (Thanks for a good idea to search hair card meshes, will do that definitely).

Even with this, from Fibershop my hair in 3dsmax looks so bad, so dense and mh..

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

just compare it to what you have there, check for the gaps on all the outer layers. its a lot more work than just one or two layers with the density you have. you will need to break up the shapes a lot more

• Neox