Home Unreal Engine

Possible to improve anti-aliasing on UMG elements?

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

Does anybody know some way to improve anti-aliasing on UMG elements?

Image below I am making use of "sheer" but it makes border edges noticeably aliased. I don't think the projects AA settings come into effect here. For the project I am using temporal AA algorithm 5. 

I like the sheer effect and would love to keep it, but it does seem sloppy to not have crisp edges on the UI.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

Nevermind. I found out why:

UMG widget appearing aliased when shear transformed. - Programming & Scripting / UI - Unreal Engine Forums

Post process doesn't effect widgets unless you had them in 3d space. So either must do that or make a special material.

Update: a few possible solutions, but all of them are pretty time intensive.

1. create widgets for use in 3d space from the beginning (this has drawbacks that resizing is going to be a lot more work)
    2. author all shapes and text with pre-baked AA and import to unreal. Obviously a huge amount of time and less flexibility.
    3. create ui materials that handle the sheering/ other effects. No guarantee this works but maybe it is possible. Obviously you have to know a bit about shader authoring.
    4. Just don't use the sheer effect, or at least not where it is highly noticeable. This is what I'll choose for now cause I'm not spending a week to overcome small issue like this.