Home Technical Talk

ZBrush - Is there any way to prevent Trim Smooth Border from mashing edges together?

Hello!

Recently I've been sculpting a lot of rocks for practice, and have noticed that Trim Smooth Border often times leaves me some unpleasant surprises as shown below:

I've been watching a lot of tutorials and while most people do mention that the brush can cause problems, they say that you can solve those by smoothing and dynameshing. In my experience, there is a point of no return (2 in the picture) where the artifacts are not solvable using anything short of a clip curve. I've attempted a lot of fixes such as using weld, close holes, but all the workable fixes tend to require changing the shape drastically (clip curve or appending a small cube and redynameshing). 1 on the other hand is fixable by just smoothing.

So all this said, I was wondering if there's any way to prevent the damage rather than fix it. I enjoy using the brush, however due to this issue being sometimes hard to notice it's often that I get bad decimated meshes (a cluster of vertices in the zone where this happened in the high poly) and even with a hand retopologized mesh the bakes come out expectedly awful in these zones, requiring a lot of back and forth to fix these issues.

Replies