Home Unity

Reflection probe placement for off-grid rotated buildings

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dave Dind polycounter lvl 11

I'm working with several buildings in a scene/level that are not sitting at right angles, and I'm having having a heck of a time wrapping my head around reflection probe placement.

How do I place reflection probes for the interiors of the buildings, since all but one of them is rotated off of Unity's grid, and reflection probe bounding areas can't be rotated?

I can't encapsulate a building within a single probe's bounds and then do a bake, since there are always areas that overlap outside of the building's walls. In the image below, the reflections and lighting in the blue striped areas outside of the building would be getting information from the interior bake, rather than the global reflection probe/skybox.

I'm not sure how to go about placing several smaller, overlapping probes inside the building, since that would still leave either dead spaces inside around the walls, or overlapping space outside again.

I really, really appreciate any help on this, since I haven't been able to find any tutorials on reflection probe placement where things are NOT sitting at right angles!

Oh, and if there's more information that would help, let me know!