Home Technical Talk

question regarding 3d model workflow for production

Hello,

i have a question about the workflow of a high poly model of a continues surface like a human body.

i've noticed alot of game/vfx body models are made of separate meshes, like the torso, head, arms, legs and etc, i'm curious to know the reasoning behind this decision, and more importantly how do you avoid seams in renders, is there a trick to it, or just artistic hand work to avoid it being seen!

i do understand that for sculpting the head for example, it must be on its own seperate piece to be able to subdvide it higher without generating polygons in unnecessary areas, but do you then transfer the details of that highpoly head mesh to a fullbody object via displacement maps and uv's/udim's or do you use it on its own.

this is my first post here, i apologize if its in a wrong place, and if there is an indepth toturial or document regarding this subject, i would truly appreciate a name or link address, i've watched alot of master class toturials on creating a highply character, but non have really explained the pipeline side of it thoroughly and in depth!.

Thank you.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

"i've noticed alot of game/vfx body models are made of separate meshes"

Please post actual images of these examples, otherwise the answers you will get will be pure conjecture. There are hundreds of possible scenarios here.

And no, there is no indepth tutorial or document on this subject ... because this isn't one subject, more like dozens of different intertwined factors.

At the end of the day it boils down to two things : the amount of memory available for the asset in the pipeline, the minimum acceptable performance for the artists working on it. And also modularity in some cases.

Also : just because separate models are being used doesn't mean that they later need to be merged or that a seam is visible.

• esro