Home Technical Talk

[3dsMax][Vray] Could not allocate buffer of size X

Hi. I've been trying to render my scene on and off for like a few months by now. And it (almost) always ends up with a message

[V-Ray] [GPU light cache] Could not allocate buffer of size 1865MB!

Or

[V-Ray] [GPU light cache] Could not allocate buffer of size 345MB!

One time it was just 14MB tho, but pretty much only those 2 messages above show up

You could say, purely by the message, that my card just lacks RAM (since I render on GPU), but I believe it's something else

Stats in Vray log tells me, that I still have over 3GB of free RAM still ready to use, and then those error messages pop up

(VrayLog - https://pastebin.com/raw/Lzt50jrs)

I've tried lowering the image resolution, the textures resolution, the sampling and subdv values, and no matter what, it always ends up the same, the same message, with the same values

Scene poly count is around 2 mil. Textures are all 4k. Overall a pretty simple scene

Specs: i5-6600k / GTX 1070 / 16GB RAM

Vray, PhoenixFD, Max 2022 + 2023 are all updated to the latest version, along with the latest Nvidia drivers

Now what's interesting. The same messages show up even during trying to start an IPR render (at 50% quality), BUT sometimes it actually goes through, and it starts the IPR correctly

I've managed to render this scene correctly ONE time a few months ago, and it was purely by just pressing the render button over and over until it finally went through (But I forgot to update a few things, hence why I need to render it once again)

And another interesting thing, literally 4 days ago I casually pressed render on it, to see, if it will work, with the same settings as right now, and it started rendering first try with no problems, though, I had to cancel it because I had to do other things and use my PC at that time

I literally have no idea anymore. Any thoughts?

Replies