Home Technical Talk

Blender selecting vertex snapping move tool?

harrycrowe2001
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
harrycrowe2001 polycounter lvl 2

Hi there! I have used Maya for two years now but I am now having to move over to Blender. As I have been teaching myself Blender I can't seem to get used to the gesture-based movement system. I know Blender has the Gizmo tools and I have set the tools to the corresponding hotkeys for the gesture-based movements and transforms. I have leant how to change the red cursor for moving and scaling around that cursor. I saw a video recently of someone selecting vertices and then then the gizmo snapped to that area selected and they could move from them. Similar to Maya. I can't seem to find a video explaining this as I would prefer to model this way. Does anyone know how to do this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obpk9GNa1Vw This was the video I was watching where when selecting vertices the gizmo automatically snapped to that area.

Thank you :)

Replies

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2

I do use blender for a long time and over different versions now and i'm eager to help (for example in another forum ) but i think there is a jargon barrier (i don't really know Maya).

So let me tell you what i don't understand while you are talking about Blender:

I don't understand what you mean by  gesture-based movement system ? I also don't often use the new tools on the left side because i use the keyboard shortcuts and also disabled the 3D gizmo showing the directions at the selected vertx|edges|face (or is it the deault) so i also don't understand why you have to set the tools to any keys ?? And in the video the red cursor (3D cursor in blender terms) didn't away from the center.. While i go on reading i also don't understand:*selecting vertices and then the gizmo snapped to that area selected and they could move from them (in blender the 3 axis gizmo if enabled alsways is in the middle of the selected one).

So if you may explain a little bit more (maybe also some time codes for this video) we may break the barrier between montrious maya and bad boy blender 😉 ?

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Yeah, there's a lot of slightly off terminology in the OP that makes things hard to understand. Please provide a diagram or a video showing exactly what you wish to replicate. (as a matter of fact even the thread title itself is gibberish...)

Also :

- The "red cursor" is called 3D Cursor

- Since "gizmo" is not a universal term, people not familiar with Autodesk apps are likely not going to be able to understand what you mean. Also and if I am not mistaken, in Max the "gizmo" doesn't even refer to the regular manipulator but to the override used in modifiers. So I suppose that by gizmo you mean the xyz manipulator ?

- In Blender "snapping to" specifically refers to the action of moving one thing (cursor, object) to a different location like the 3D cursor, the active object, and so on. It never happens automatically - it is always the result of a proactive action by the user. So I suppose that you don't really mean "snapping" here, but rather "automatically appearing".

Once you clarify your post people will be able to help.

- - - - -

As for the "gesture" approach, I suppose you mean the way Blender doesn't require you to actually grab the manipulator, but rather allows you to tap a hotkey (or combo of keys, to limit to a specific axis) then move things around, then confirm ? If so I would highly recommend you to at least keep a mental note of it to play with it further later. Not only is it incredibly powerful (and in many cases, faster and more precise than actually grabbing a manipulator), it is also much easier to the hands in the long run.