Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio review

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Darkstein polycounter lvl 7

Hello Everyone first of all thank you for the time, i need some advice and guidance with my portfolio, any feedback is most welcome i have worked as a freelance on some indie projects but i want to give the "big jump" to a AAA studio.

Here is my portfolio, my focus is on props i have some experience on Environments but not enough to show on the portoflio.

https://www.artstation.com/smokebane

Replies

• Lukes3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukes3D triangle

Whenever portfolio's showcase very small, simple items on their own, it seems kind of weak IMO. If they are small and simple maybe put them together in one image.

For the window, I didn't know there were more objects included until clicking on it. You might want to show all of the items in the thumbnail. It will make the thumbnail more dense too.

I think using white backgrounds look a little better. Whenever I see grey/dark background my mind first thinks that's it a viewport snapshot from the software, without any lighting or rendering.

The Murmillo helmet looks well modeled, but the lighting is not giving it justice. Put it in a white background with a shadow underneath.

The props for soap piece has hidden objects as well. Include everything in the thumbnail, or use the closeup shot of the soap/poison piece since it has some nice detail.

The hoverbike, headset, and gas mask are the strongest pieces. Maybe put them in the middle of the page instead of the far left.

Just some of my thoughts! Nice work though.

• Darkstein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hello Lukes3D thank you for the time and feedback. i can see what you mean with the small and simple, i think i focused to much on the textures and learning it that i neglect my modeling a bit.

for the thumbnails i will follow your advice and make a thumbnail to show all of the props to show that are more assets.

know that you mention what the black the background communicates, i can't unsee it, maybe a bit of contrast or some "dust" to make it pop more and avoid the "screenshot feeling". and do a better ligthing to show more of my models, thank you, this will help me.

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

i think probably the best approach for breaking into AAA will be tailoring your work towards the art styles and software they use. smaller studios will often times copy more established companies or products to replicate their success. i would target a studio you like directly, or pay attention to what games are currently the most popular and making the most money. i guarantee that when news hit that Elden Ring was a financial success being praised by the community at large, heads of AAA studios were immediately keying into the trend and what aspects they should adapt from it for their current or next projects. if you're able to get ahead of these trends, or create them, all the better.

• Darkstein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hello Killnpc, thank you for the time and advice, my main focus was realism i enjoy doing it, i did some practice to on the stylized side but i know that can be a bad idea, having two styles for a position on the AAA industry. trends that is something that I overlook and makes a lot of sense, i like doing somethings that i think can be on that category, so i will do a series of that with a studio in mind.