Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BirdBoy

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
kanga quad damage

A boy and his bird.

Been working on this for a while. The model has changed a bit since the beginning. Did the modelling and UVs in Blender. Detailing and hipoly skin texture in zBrush. Baked and painted in Toolbag 4.

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

BirdBoy flyaround.

Wireframe of the realtime mesh.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hey @kanga the character design reminds me somewhat of unreal tournament/quake heroes which I think is very cool👍️

Some texture adjustments would make the boy character look more appealing in my eyes:

• Currently skin has a gray look to it. With someone young, perhaps more saturated color would strengthen his vitality. Would also create contrast to other surfaces.
    • pupils look clouded (is it intentional?) and eye white is quite bright
    • Could imagine some skin color variation/dirt from often wearing goggles
    • Hair has a greenish tone, looks bit unnatural (intended?)

In my opinion the birds' design doesn't read as clear as the one of the boy - especially with wings folded - and it looks like a different style (small bolts, large primitive shapes, less aerodynamic).

I understand this is also a matter of taste and you might have already moved on from this project.

Keep it up 🚀

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

Fabi-G: I understand this is also a matter of taste and you might have already moved on from this project.

Yeah its an old project to be sure. All the pointers you mentioned are really good ones and make sense. I like the character but I developed it solo and missed some really important points (the ones you mentioned). The bird could do with a redesign that matches the boy's clothing. Thanks for the colour direction and I love the goggle grime idea!

First thing will put the bird redesign below. Thanks a million Fabi_G.