Home Technical Talk

Yet.. New Marvelous designer challenges

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Stensword polycounter lvl 3

Spent half a day trying to do the dress, without success. The decorative fold pattern is very hard to get :

Also I stumbled on this garement while I was looking for more challenging pieces to do in Marvelous :

How would you go about making the top part of the garment ? And particularly this wonderful but complex smoking effect. It might be easily doable with some Zbrush smoke and mirrors though.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

Lori Griffiths - YouTube

check this channel out ^

for the top dress, you can conduct simple experiments using the pins. Probably you can achieve the effect just by pinning, rather than a complicated sewing job.

The bottom one... the top part of it, I'd make a texture and apply as a material (outside of MD). If you wanted to bake from geometry you could make a displacement map in zbrush. i wouldnt attempt it in MD. Its not just because it would be extremely tedious, but it would likely bog even a powerful computer down simulating with enough resolution to have that many folds.

The part underneath covering remainder of chest is probably similar to pleats, which you'll find covered in lori griffiths youtube.

• Stensword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks for your reply I\ll have a look to her channel. Yeah I think those pleats will need a great deal of smoothing after exporting thou. Because using the fold parameters always lead to some sharpness even when the strength is low and the angle is slight, it's better suited for true sharp pleats.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

yeah could be. i think its common for people to get most of the way with MD and then do custom touch ups with sculpting software afterwards.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

Isnt the first thing mostly based on an elastic string that gets stretched, sewn on and then goes back to its original length? You certainly can do that with an in line and some elasticity and the right settings.

• Stensword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ok so I tried a few more things including the elastic technic but still... Nothing seems to really achieve a good enough result . (just note that at this point I wasn't really trying to recreate the dress form the original reference but rather the "fold effect" on the right seam.

First this is what I got from the elastic :

Although the horizontal lines are there I couldn't manage to create the catenary curves(fold).

After that I came up with a more complex technic where I first created the folds on flat planes which I solidified and then sewed there support planes to the (frozen) dress armature :

So found this image online and this pants seems to be using the exact same principle of the original reference. And it is pretty close to the elastic technic but instead of the elastics it uses dart to reduce the side length so I tried the dart technic... But I hardly get the same result as in this picture. If the creator of this is around please manifest yourself. (Alex Huget)

As you can see the shapes are kinda there but the folds are way to big. I could have created the original motifs thinner in the first place and it'll have ended up much closer to the goal, probably.

So I'll probably hire someone to create this so I can see what was the solution...

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

you are comparing your MD viewport to a refined zbrush sculpt.

If you can get most of the way with MD that is probably as good as you'll get. It is likely the artist spent a few hours (or days) finishing up in zbrush.

you can do a bit of sculpting in MD using steam tool to expand or contract specific spots. But its a lot more guesswork than using zbrush.