Home General Discussion

can you share a file which contains assets from external sources ?

YashP
node
Offline / Send Message
YashP node

So I'm thinking of delivering a UE compiled exe file to clients in future in which people can walk around in interior/exterior of a House but I wonder if I can share the exe file if I've used assets from sites like Evermotion or CgAxis

I can model most furniture by myself but That'd take time

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

You need to check the license under which you acquired the assets .

• YashP
    Offline / Send Message
    YashP node

I see, I checked for Evermotion they don't allow, seems like I'll have to model em myself

• lluc21
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5

It seems like you can though?

"You can use Evermotion Products as a part of a game if the products are in proprietary format and displayed inside the game during play. In this case, you have to add in the producer's section information that "models come from Evermotion""

What you cannot do is send to the client a file where they can have access to the source model, like for example sending them the whole Unreal project folder.

• YashP
    Offline / Send Message
    YashP node

@lluc21 this is a different license or maybe I opened up a wrong one but thank you very much dude, you don't know how much of my time will be saved 😁

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

i can't speak for the evermotion license but...

I recently had to deal with some very, very expensive data and the license terms allowed us to distribute the end result - i.e compiled game assets - but not a version that could be easily extracted,

That seems similar to the evermotion license as described by lluc21, it's pretty much the same as megascans licensiing and i'd expect it to be fairly standard.

its not a good idea to assume anything though

• EarthQuake

Yeah generally there are two cases here:

1. Redistribution of the assets themselves. If you've you're trying to share or sell the source assets (mesh files, textures, etc) directly, this is generally not allowed under most commercial licenses. You would need something like a creative commons (CC0) to distribute the assets directly
    2. Shipping the assets in a compiled form, this could be a game, arch-vis presentation, video or interactive website presentation, etc, where the end-user can not directly access the files. This is generally allowed under most commercial licenses, but as others have mentioned you should always make sure.