Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Weiss (Game Ready Character)

triangle
Offline / Send Message
ashuuki triangle

Finally finished and posted my first proper character! Full renders and technical breakdown (topology, UVs etc) available on my Artstation post here https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OmJGOg

I have attached my favourite shots below. I hope you like it!

Replies

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter

Super interesting character. I think the skin looks a bit flat though, I think you need more variation in your base colour, adding some more blues and purples would help. I would take a closer look at some reference images and try to pick out specific colours. In this one you can see how light the skin is over his nose and cheeks, even his brow between his eyebrows. Theres more saturated red around the forehead with some purples in the inner eye corner and under the cheek bones. He has a beard so it's harder to read, but there would likely be dark colours under the chin and jaw line. I would also maybe look at bumping up your SSS.

I like the concept of the hair but it's lacking variation. I had a quick look at your breakdown on ArtStation and it looks like you just have 1 texture for all the cards? I would recommend having a variety of textures with different alphas, one for large coverage then more for breakup and then 1 or 2 for thin flyaways. I would also say that the polycount for the hair cards is extreme. Unless your cards are bending a lot or basically a tube, there's no need to have 4 divides

If you want you can a centre divide, the line in green, to give some bend to the card or you can add 2 if you really need. Remember you can always tesselate the hair in whatever engine your rendering your character to smooth it out. Check out Georgian Avasilcutei's work. This one is a good breakdown with a process video and everything! https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lP4vY

I look forward to seeing more work from you! Your character design is great :D

• ashuuki
  • ashuuki
    Offline / Send Message
    ashuuki triangle

Thank you so much for your detailed response, it’s been really helpful. I will check out the links you’ve provided, the skin colouring I definitely struggled with the most so your breakdown of where it could improve has been a big help! And thank you also for the tip on the hair cards, I was trying to get them done quickly so didn’t do as much research into them as I would have liked.

Thank you again, I’m looking forwards to taking your advice into my next character 😊

• plaintextures
    Offline / Send Message
    plaintextures polycounter lvl 10

Scale of your textures is off. You need to scale them down.Fabric and leather especially.

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter

@ashuuki Glad I could help :D

• ashuuki
    Offline / Send Message
    ashuuki triangle

Thank you for this feedback! I'll make sure to consider the texture scale more carefully in my next piece