Home Career & Education

How long do studios expect you to take on a single model?

I know the answer depends on how complex the model is and whether you have a good model sheet or not and skill/experience, but what is the general time frame studios general give you for. Ill list some images and you guys can give a approximation on each one. I want to get jest on how fast I'm expected to work. A bonus would be to also give an time frame for each phase of the model modelling, UV unnwrapping, Texturing.

I'm finding hard surface to be quite a tedious process. I'd be flabbergasted if you were expected to complete models like these from scratch in less than a week.

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

lol yeah likely none of these have been produced within a week. i mean under ideal circumstances, nobody giving feedback and you just do your thing, you can do things quicker. but in production with, lots of constraints, dependencies and oppinions, you can expect any of these to take weeks to months on the robot or the character. the scene is "just" a highpoly model so it will not take as long, the gun itself, maybe 2-3 weeks from blockout to textured lowpoly. in general, the bigger the production the longer you can expect things to take.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

just my experience as a soloist, but there is hardly ever a point where "the model is done."

i think when the game is finished, then maybe you could say so. I dont imagine it is any different on a team, small or large.

The character for instance - maybe to get an initial pass you could have it ready in a week or maybe a couple long work days. But a million things outside the geometry and textures of the character will change, and many times that will mean you have to update the character as well.

Probably on a bigger team, individual parts of the character are made by separate people too.

So I think if you can achieve the same level of quality, time wont be a concern. To get high quality you will be doing many redos, and every time you do that you'll pick up speed naturally just because you'll learn how to automate/simplify anything that you can.

The more times you do a similar thing, the faster you get at it. Hence, a specialty is developed.

• oglu
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
  • tError_404
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

what the..... You telling me I could sell a big studio a model of a traffic cone for $4000?

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

That is not how it works but effectively yeah, could happen

• tgm79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tgm79 polycounter lvl 4

Traffic cones are $3600 according to the image. I can do them much cheaper if anyone is interested - for only 1600. Pay one get three for free.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

"The numbers in this image arnt to far off. Money = Time"

A diagram of how much it would cost to make all the CG used in one scene of the game with full scratch
    Well, it's true that people who aren't familiar with the fact that CG production costs a lot are often surprised.

Well makes sense,

Recall, when GTA5 was released total production costs were initially speculated to be around $250 million...

• oglu
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666

We modeled a car where the cg one cost more than the real one. It was a small cheap car but still.

Assets arnt "final" only if the geometry is ready.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

yes the traffic cone is not a standalone item. It is likely one tiny piece of a larger puzzle. So the cost of the traffic cone is not only the guy who moved the verts around, but the art director who designed the entire pipeline, and the tech artist who figured out best way to optimize it all, and so on. One thing has influence of many people on it so pretty hard to say exactly what its real cost is.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

I remember we charged over 5k for a render of a beer glass to go on a billboard once and it was apparently a lot cheaper than taking a photo

cg isnt cheap, but it is cheaper

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth

No, if they're buying assets from a library they're not gonna be willing to pay that much. But if they're making the asset in-house, so that they have full control of art direction, the total costs associated with it could easily hit four thousand. That's not just the artist making the initial assets, that's also stuff like the leads' time reviewing it and giving feedback, tech art making sure it works with the physics system, time spent on reworks due to changes in narrative and art direction, and so on.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

we just had an asset that hit a anniversary just right before it was considered done

stuff like that can happen