Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Fridge Prop - Critique Appreciated

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
StykaSmith polycounter lvl 3

This is my first attempt at making a stylized prop.

Based off of this tutorial by 3dEx (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itnP-SYJizw).

Any feedback or critique appreciated.

Replies

• Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14

Looks cool :)

The handles seems untextured compared to the rest, though. Also since it is stylized, the geometry could be deformed a bit. Anyway nicely done :)

• plaintextures
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plaintextures polycounter lvl 11

I would make it a bit more "shiny" and handles bit more metallic. Some adjustments to roughness map(darker).

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

its not bad, but its also not great. a bit boring overal as its just a chamfered box with pretty simple texturing right now.

there are a few things you could do to improve it directly. for one, i would drop the dirt noise/grunge map and make that dirt by hand, atm its everywhere and almost distributed the same way. think about where the grime would gather. what kind of dirt and wear to be expected.

I agree, the handles look pretty much untextured. also the roughness looks pretty plain and doesnt have the variety you have in the diffuse. fingerprints are shinier, dust could be more matte, scratches could reveal some more metalness.

the "outlines" you have in the diffuse, i would break up more. atm it looks very filtered, you have the same slightly lighter outline around all edges, looks like a filter, not natural

I dont quite understand you metalnes map to be honest. it all feels like the same material in the rendering. are you sure its AO/R/M not AO/M/R? either way, its all too samey. why is the paint more or less the same value as the handles, is your shader even using those maps right now?

then i would use that empty UV space you have and work on stuff like say, some feet it stands on, tack on some more notes, magnets, etc on that fridge, maybe a calendar with weekly chores or whatever. maybe put some stuff on top, a small potted plant. just things to give it more life. If you wanna go all in give it a proper fridge back side, maybe open one door a bit and show the inside, there are many things you can do to improve this piece, many of them are pretty quick, it will certainly not hurt to invest more time.