Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need advice on this Stylized Frog Character

First post, so apologies if I get something wrong.

Basically, I've been working hard on this original videogame character for a while now. And nothing is sticking. In fact, it's been going on for so long I've built up this big happy family of consistent trial and error. None of these truly fit the bill for the cute stylized frog character I'm after. This isn't my first character, so I am not sure of why exactly I'm struggling this much.

(Minus the one that's crossed out, that was a friend's edit)

My most recent one is this iteration:

For this one, I actually sat down and went all the way back to square one. Drawing and planning out the front/back views as well as the shader work that has to be done.

Yet I still don't feel like it is going in the way I want it to go.

I'm open to any feedback, advice, suggestions. Thanks!

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Cute character!

I think it's crucial to consider the game camera when creating assets and to keep track how it looks in game (How does idea transfer? Readable?).

With 2d concepts, I would convert them into a blockout early, to check and iterate. Here fishes seam much smaller than everything else - might disappear in game.

A way to concept with perspective in mind, would be painting over a game screenshot of blockout character.

Much success!

• Suggo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks for the comment! And you raise a very valid point I need to learn about still, properly harnessing blockouts. I've always just felt it out by going straight for polymodeling (and it has worked out so far), but it has definitely come back to bite me in the ass this time around. The fishbaits being too small of a detail in-game is a good point too.

I've now already started blocking out the concept. I'll also be trying to then drag this blockout in-engine and paint over it.

Great advice, thank you!