Home Technical Talk

Questions about refining 3D model

Hello guys, I am new to 3D modelling and try to refine some friend's old model to new one.

I am encountering a problem that part of the new model UV layout is different from the old one. My friend asked me to unwrap UV to match the old texture/old model UV as the old texture has various version based on it. I knew it takes time to redo all the texture work if I choose to use the new UV.

I have tried to do move the new UV to match the old one, but the faces are always unfit the texture/out of checker scale.

Here's the questions, is it common to fit the old texture with new model UV? If not, what reasons should be tell to my friend about that?

The second one is that how can I deal with the texture uniform problem as 3DS MAX projected the UV out of the angle? (Considering it the UV is projected 90 degree at front directly and the red line are facing side way)

The third one is that I am stacking old model and new model in the same position for editing and referencing UV map coordinate. If I am going to move myself to Blender, can I do the same way while both of the UV showing up and unwrapping UV like 90 degree directly (or like 3DS MAX way)?

Any feedback would be highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Replies