Home Technical Talk

Help! Dynamesh cannot support the small details of my mesh, how can I preserve them?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
coolguyslims polycounter lvl 2

Hello,

I'm working on an aftermarket MPX SBR rifle model for a video game. I've started to create the high-poly barrel of the gun, of which has very small threading inside. I wanted to include this detail on the high-poly rather than try to create it using normal maps, but I've encountered a problem I have never had before. I wanted to dynamesh the barrel and then polish crisp edges, but when I dynamesh at 4K resolution the threading is too small and fragile to be maintained. It looks clumpy and rigid.

This is the low-poly model I created using live booleans. I'm referring to the small circular threading in this post, not the rifling inside of the barrel.

This is what I get when I dynamesh at 4K. It's not terrible, but it could be better. If I try to smooth it out a little bit it just gets worse. How could I make this look better?

The dynamesh settings I use are right here:

What's a good way to dynamesh so I can smooth edges but maintain this threading? Or rather, how can I make this look nice?

Thanks.

Replies