Home Career & Education

Direction/study path for a 3D environmental artist

Nikar
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Nikar polycounter lvl 5

If I want to make this kind of environment in 3D:

Are there any good courses that teaches the fundamentals of this? Any youtube channels I should follow? Should I learn architecture? If so, where and how do I study these? I hope I don't need to go to school to get a degree in architectural studies. Should I learn composition and practice doing composition sketches? I'm also currently learning Blender.

Also, for game environment type of 3D art, is there a website that is dedicated specially to this specific field?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

Any general environment / modular environment 3d art tutorials on youtube will cover the common techniques needed to make a building. If you want to make foliage yourself you can look that up too, or use speedtree/megascans.

Just get started and then show the work to anybody and everybody. Professionals will be able to point out what you are lacking. That way you can fix just the deficiencies and get to a good result as quick as possible rather than going off chasing holy grail. Fundamental things like undertanding architecture or botany or art concepts you will pick up as you need. Just get as far as you can, ask for help, and keep going like that.

I think a lot of beginners want something liek a guided university curriculum. But places like that are a business that make money from students time. It is not the efficient route, and what you learn is 99% on the students work ethic. So dont put faith in developing some sort of curriculum - just make art as much as you can and get second opinions from as many different people as you can. When everybody is saying hte same thing, that's where some truth is worth working on.

• Nikar
  • chien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chien polycounter lvl 13

study environments is really helpfull, i actually open up my kitchen sink to see what are the components and what is their function just as extra because all these is part of learning. you can also try arimus 3D(not promoting) but the individual does have something helpfull for all artist. it's fine to try university or youtube if you want, as long you can learn something.