Homeā€ŗ Adobe Substance

Can't import model into Substance Painter

Asim7
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Asim7 polycounter lvl 8

Ok, so this is a bit of a weird one...šŸ˜…

I imported a character model that I made and started texturing it in Substance Painter. I saved it as a Substance project.

I am traveling for a few weeks, and would like to continue my work on another PC. I plan to send the Substance project file to my other PC, but as a backup I would like to have the original .fbx model with me. Just incase the Substance project has a mistake, I have the source model at hand to start a new project.

I wanted to test it before I left so I started a new project with the model. Problem is it won't work...šŸ˜¢

The model dosn't load, and nothing happens. Yet I already have a substance project with that very same model in the project.

I tried exporting the textures with the $mesh to figure out if i'm using the same .fbx file, and indeed I am.

The character is named fullCharacter_V007.fbx

The texture exported with $mesh in the naming is called fullCharacter_V007, so it's the same model in the project.

This is the error I get

The hair card is going out of the UDIM, so it can't import it.

But it's the same file as before, no changes.

It's also going over the UDIM in the original Substance Project, evidence below.

I don't understand how this is a problem now, but wasn't when I made the project 3-4 weeks ago?

It's the exact same model, but now it won't accept it?

Any help or insight to this?

Replies

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth

Do you want UDIM? I get the sense you don't? UDIM is a specific workflow for making multiple textures.

If your texture is meant to be tiling, turn off UDIM.

• Asim7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 polycounter lvl 8

I do, I have 5 UDIMs for the character. Problem is one of the UDIMs has parts of the UV spill out of it, I had to do that to make the texture work and look right.

Substance tells me I can't import the model because there are UV's going outside the UDIM, but I already imported it and saved it once with the exact same UV's as shown above. I'm just wondering how I was able to import it then but not now šŸ¤”

• Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth

I apologize if I'm telling you things you already know - it can be hard to gauge sometimes.

Multiple materials isn't the same thing as UDIM, which is when you want your UV tiles to act as a single big virtual texture. A character is generally going to have multiple materials with different settings, ie: skin, hair and cloth, so treating all your textures as one isn't going to help you.

Try creating a new project, without UDIM workflow.

On your hair UVs: Its puzzling to me that it has to extend beyond one tile to 'look right'. Its not good practice to do that unless you're working with tiling textures. I guess it could work with UDIM, but its very inefficient. And, if further into a project you decide UDIM is not ideal (in my experience it causes tech artists to sweat...), you can't break it into multiple materials.

• Asim7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asim7 polycounter lvl 8

Thank you for the information, and yea I will eventually fix the hair UV's to not spill out of the UDIM. To be honest, it was mostly lazyness and time constraints, since I had to go on vacation it was easier to scale the UV's than remake the textures.

For some reason I was able to import it into Substance Painter, but then trying to do it again it wouldn't let me because of the UV's going outside the UV space. Which I just found weird, since I can't figure out how it let me do it the first time around.

You're absolutly right about the UDIM and Material workflow, I sometimes confuse myself on them. Yes, I have seperated the model into different materials, as I found it worked the best for the model and game engine. Sometimes i'm just using a single material with multiple UDIMS as you mentioned. Thank you for the reply šŸ™‚