Home Technical Talk

Zbrush > Maya. Vertices are screwed up/hard to fix

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

Hello,

When exporting from Zrush (Decimation master) I get the following two problems:

1. (top image) I get the following cluster of vertices (These can be fixed in Zbrush when caught before decimating/merged together in Maya)
  2. (Bottom image) The most annoying one. These vertices are not connected, can't be connected by Merge and all have to be done by hand. I make sure that the playgroups are the same and don't know what causes this/prevents it

Courses I watch use decimation master all the time but don't seem to encounter these problems. The only setting I change in the decimation master is the amount of decimation.

Hope anyone has some advice :)

Thank you

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter

This kind of stuff is pretty much normal for a mesh that's been created in zbrush using Dynamesh and Decimation master.

One thing to try is to Decimate the model in steps. Go to 50% of the resolution and then go to 20%.

You can also try Dynameshing to a lower resolution and using polish on the mesh before using Decimation Master but that sometimes looks terrible.

Another solution is using zremesher on the model, subdividing, and then reprojecting the details from the original mesh. This works best with hardsurface models like machinery.

The unwelded vertexes is really simple to fix in maya - just select all the vertexes and weld them together with a very low weld threshold.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character

Turn off grp/groups when exporting [its option in expert tab ]

If this doesnt solve the whole issue use weld identical points [its inside geometry/modify topology]

• JulezKaidy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@carvuliero @sprunghunt Thank you both so much for the comments and even multiple ways to go about this. The only thing I would like to add is that, for some reason, welding via the merge tool does not work nor affect the vertices in Maya, hence why I have to do it by hand and wondered why these vertices just straight up ignore the tool (high/low threshold). Other than that, I'll make sure to try these techniques out/experiment with them to see what works best in my situation. Thank you again :D

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character

Exporting with grp turn on split your model in to chunks I guess maya read it as separate models but for merge to work you need everything to be one model

If you like to use merge to fix this issue there will be few extra steps first select your model and use separate function if it on surface if its one object it wont do anything but if its not it will split your model in to chunks then just combine them back together and use merge while all verts are selected [you might have to kill history as well]

Easier is just to turn off grp and reexport from zbrush