Home Career & Education

What are some effective methods for improvement? (Mentorships?, etc.)

Hello I'm looking for some effective methods to continue improving my skills as a 3D Artist. I recently graduated from university and I'm trying to create projects to improve my portfolio. So far I've just been going at it alone working on projects and overanalyzing them myself trying decide if they are good enough and, in many cases, scrapping them. I feel like this has been more difficult than it could be and I think I'd like to seek help from professionals/3D artists. Yes, getting feedback on Polycount would be a great start but I was also wondering what are some other effective ways to regularly interact with others and improve my skills? I've often heard that mentorships (experience points, the mentor coalition, etc) are a great way to improve effectively. Which one would you recommend? Which do you think is the best? Are there any other methods you might recommend for effective improvement? Should I pursue a masters degree? Should I just join discord communities? Find a small portfolio project making game design team? Send any and all suggestions my way regardless of price and I can decide.

Thank you! :)

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

Getting feedback from another person can help you see things you might have missed. A professional is more likely to know what the important things are to focus on. This is a multiplier, meaning it can accelerate your time, but zero multiplied by anything is always zero. So you have to put in time.

I don't think "improve my 3d skills" is an effective goal. How will you know when you reached it? It's probably better to have concrete goals that you'll know when you've arrived at. For example: get a job at ____ studio, or publish something specific like a game, cinematic, or win a competition.

Don't wait until you feel ready to try whatever it is you want to try. Go for it right away. You'll either attain it or fail. If you fail, then you know exactly where to focus. If you wait until you think you are ready, you'll fall behind people who were more bold.

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666

A research month is fun. Do one month research for your discipline. Do no personal projects on your computer during this time.

If you are hardsurface modeler go outside and study how things are made. Take pictures. Look close how different materials are used, how things in real are beveled. Go to a hardware store and inspect every tool you find.

If you are a texture artist go outside get inspired. Learn how dirt is layered on real objects. Collect tons of ref images. Look at things at day and night. Look at things in sun and rain. Find old objects in the attic and study the wear and dirt.

If you are a character artist go out and study people. Do a lot of drawing. Start using https://line-of-action.com/

If you are lighting or shader Artist build a little lighting box. Like a mini Photostudio and play with light and materials. Light an Orange in real and try to get a great sss effect. Take a chrome object and play with it in a dark room with only one light source and wonder how bad it looks.

You get the idea.