Home Technical Talk

How to transfer Startup to Blender

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Method14253 polycounter lvl 3

I have spent hours trying to figure out how to clearly transfer my startup to the new version of Blender. There used to be a simple "use last saved startup" but you only had one chance to use it the first time you open up the new version of Blender, it was not there this time so I have no idea how to transfer my startup keybinds/plugins/ui. If someone can provide clear and easy to follow steps for how to do this it would be GREATLY appreciated. Why is this so hard. Thank you

Replies

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

You have to start your new Blender version once, go into preferences and save once, then exit. This writes the preference folder for this version. https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/advanced/blender_directory_layout.html

You can then delete its contents entirely and overwrite them with the ones from your previous Blender version. Only the parent folder with the correct version name needs to stay in place. Works fine in my experience.

Obviously any custom functionality you may have in your configuration that is no longer compatible with the new Blender will not load or throw an error in there and will need to be replaced/updated. After all, Blender changes quite a bit under the hood at times.