Home Adobe Substance

(FIXED) [Issue] [Substance Painter] Artifact Issues from Baking

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Silver91748 polycounter lvl 2

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I last used Substance Painter, and I'm having a lot of trouble baking the normal map for this coffee maker.

THE ISSUE:

When I go to bake the high-poly into Substance I get these artifacts:

Here's a close up of said artifacts, along with the wireframe. I noticed that the low-poly wireframe seems to be affecting this somehow.

THE INFO:

• Low Poly Model + Wireframe

• High Poly + Wireframe

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post!

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

Use hard edges at extreme angles, and split your UV's on them. This will alleviate the awful shading on your LP, making your normal maps not compensate as much.

• Silver91748
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Tubular! That seemed to had done the trick. I baked it out and it looks pretty good so far. The only issue I have now are these small artifacts I'm getting at some of the edges. I'm going to do some research on normal maps and baking to see if I can figure this out myself before posting my progress, or asking for any further assistance. Thank you for your help @Kanni3d

• Silver91748
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Alrighty- I have returned. I've enlightened myself in the art of normal mapping and a bit of baking, though it's evident there is much more to learn. For the most part my issues are solved baking wise. The only artifact I have left seems to show up when I apply a stylized Smart Material to the body of my blender. It's evident in the seam here, as you can see.

The Smart Material used is called 'Chipped Paint', I got it from Zack Maxwell on Artstation.

Oh- also here's the normal map. I checked the baking of both this and AO but neither seem to be the cause of it. At least not directly.

• Silver91748
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Update: I managed to solve the issue- somehow... I'm not sure how exactly this resolved the issue, but I just baked my Mesh Map's output size at 1024x1024 instead of 4096x4096, and applied that 4096x4096 resolution instead under the General tab of Texture Set Settings. Just above the Shader Instance.

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

See what exactly that culprit layer is doing. It's a folder filled with other layers doing god knows what. There could be a filter, a fill layer with some sort of texture in it etc that isn't playing nice with your uv set up. Smart materials don't always unviserally fully work on all meshes, there's bound to be some sorta artifacting (which is usually an easy fix).

I'd advise baking at 4k, not 1k (the other way around is actually idea, having a high res bake and low res viewport for more performance).