Home Technical Talk

[Maya '22] Duplicating along a curve, tried everything!

tester1225
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
tester1225 polycounter lvl 7

Getting very frustrated here with such a simple function missing! I need to duplicate around 200 objects around a curve and 2 hours later I have no results and just a lot of frustration -

1. Tried the mash method - hate it, either makes the object I want to dup invisible or when it decides to SOMEWHAT work aligns the objects incorrectly with no way to fix it.
  2. Tried the motion path method - somewhat works, but doesn't rotate my objects accordingly.
  3. Tried downloading the 2 or 3 scripts available - but they're now quite old and I can't seem them to get working in maya '22 :( .

This is beyond stupid, does anyone have any other solutions apart from me taking an hour or more painfully aligning each object? Absolutely baffles me that this isn't integrated into the modelling tools :/

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666

Could you show whats goin on?

Mash should work fine.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

yes - mash should work. as should the shit motion path hack

and yes, its ridiculous but on the other hand, they released 2018 with a broken transform tool so its probably best if they don't write any code at all

• Klaudio2U
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U polycounter lvl 8

Agreed, Mash should work just fine.

"... either makes the object I want to dup invisible..."

Original object you put into Mash network gets hidden but you can also just make it visible again in Outliner.

"...or when it decides to SOMEWHAT work aligns the objects incorrectly with no way to fix it..."

Just select original object you put into Mash network and rotate it as you need, all duplicated on curve will also rotate.