Home Technical Talk

Do UV seams matter as much nowadays?

I'm experimenting with a blender plugin called Zen UV (a very advanced UV unwrapping plugin) And I got to say it does a very good job at unwrapping your UVs for you without having to put in that much work. Of course course if I put in some manual work I could sew some islands together and make it have less seams. But is there much point in doing that now with apps like substance painter existing? The only reason I can think that having very strategically placed seams is for texture animations via offsets and such but maybe that's done differently. But other than that, seams don't seem to bother me much when texturing via substance painter. Just means you will have less edges to clean which isn't all that hard and regardless you will probably be going over edges without seams anyways so that your texture doesn't look like slapped on smart material.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

I think you have the right idea.

Use hte method that gets work done fast. THen if you run into a specific problem related to placement of seams, you can edit them as necessary. Otherwise dont waste any brain energy over it.

Just make sure you are saving and filing your work in a way that you can return to any stage of the process in case you suddenly discover that you need to go back and make some edits. Can't predict everything.

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

You mention you could stitch some uv's here and there - but that sounds like you aren't aware of the fact that it'll affect your shading, which of course goes on to effect your bakes and normal maps, lods etc. etc. Yes, you could run a uv -> hard edge script, but that means there could be some UVs that you stitched together which have really harsh angle deviations that are now being softened, creating a huge shading gradient.

Before even UVing, you should be considering a couple of things:

• how your mesh shades from your placement of hard and soft edges
    • how much more vertices you are adding by having splits from hard edges

Yes - using things like 3d painting means seams aren't so much of an issue as they were back in the photoshop texturing days - but they still have to be considered. The more splits you have, the more hard edges, the more vertices your mesh would be. The less splits you have, the more soft edges you'll see which comes along with harsh shading if not controlled with more geometry.

Two routes:

• hard edge split -> requiring a uv edge split -> more verts. Benefit here is that shading is tight and predictable, downside is you'll have some unavoidable seams if your mesh is seen upclose, the required uv split from the hard edge will also cost you vertices.

you could instead:

• chamfer the original hard edge in order to keep the edge soft, not requiring a uv seam here. Benefit here is that your uv is contiguous and wouldn't have any splitting seams. The downside is that shading is harder to control and may not be as tight/flat as just simply creating a hard edge (Vertice amount would be the same scenario).

The net amount of vertices would be the same in either scenario - both have their scenarios that work best.

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

For character work I would actually say that they matter more than ever - because now that model density can capture all kinds of details, one absolutely wants seams to follow ... well, actual seams. And brushing them off as "doable in substance painter" would litterally mean adding more time on top of an already extremely lengthy workflow.

If anything, they also allow ID maps to become more clean now because ID regions can pretty much follow polygons (and be split off accordingly) as opposed to crossing over in awkward places.

I guess at the end of the day it really depends on how clean the asset really needs to be. ZenUV is looking really useful BTW, time to try it out.

• Tiles
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

UV Mapping addons are great. And can do a decent job. Especially compared to somebody who is new to UV mapping. But this just works to a degree. Addons knows nothing about topology, and how to hide seams to make them as few visible as possible. And every unnecessary UV patch usually also reduces the texel density. Since you need to add some padding to it to avoid pixel bleeding from neighbour regions. And with mip mapping it is still an issue to have as few UV patches as possible. Since here you might see the seams at one point, when it goes down one or two mip mapping steps.

As told from my previous posters, it is not black and white though. The result from an addon can be pretty much also be used as a starting point. Or might just require minor tweaks. Or even might work without further modifications. I would just not trust the result blindly.