Home Technical Talk

Combining parts of different atlases onto one map...

tester1225
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
tester1225 polycounter lvl 7

I'm hoping there's a streamlined solution that I'm not yet aware of! LOL

I'm working on some props that I use two sets of atlas scans for. But I'm using one specific part from atlas A, and one specific part from atlas B. But it's annoying to in the end have like 10ish texture maps to use - is there an efficient way to combine the said parts onto one map? Up to this point I've just been splicing in photoshop - but doing it by hand is quite painful when you have to align not only the diffuse but normals, roughness, etc. Am I just being very ignorant and there's a quick way of doing this in a package like maya? Like let's say in speedtree you may have 3 different sets of textures, all with 5 or so textures each, and when you export the atlases get cobbled together.

Replies

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator

It might be worth providing some photos of the process you're doing specifically, but just based on my understanding of what you need:

Designer would be able to do it, set up a node group to do all the transforms and manipulations you need, and pass each of your maps through it.

If you have a bit of command-line know-how, ImageMagick is also worth looking into, you can type up the same set of transforms that Designer or Photoshop would do and batch out hundreds of images at once, although it's fiddly and not terribly intuitive. I do use this a lot for my menial image processing tasks, like converting, resizing, dithering, bit depth stuff, etc. Of course, you're likely to fall into the automation trap

Photoshop Macros are also an option, record your action for one map and repeat it across all the other textures in the set.

• tester1225
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tester1225 polycounter lvl 7

Threw this together quickly to demonstrate what I was trying to say :D :

Have two different atlases and I'm using bits from each. Want to just have the parts I'm using on one single map - ok you can paste all this together easy enough but then you have all the accessory maps (normal, roughness etc) and they need to be aligned with the diffuse. I end up with 10+ maps open in photoshop painstakingly trying to cut paste cut paste from file to file and it gets very tiresome just to save a unneeded texture space. Bad enough doing this with 2 different atlases sometimes I want to combine more than that and it's a numbing process lol

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator

Yep, that's what I thought it was. My above suggestions will be what you want. Designer is probably going to be the most intuitive solution of the lot.

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    1. Record an action in Photoshop when you copy/paste ( Photoshop knows an order images were opened) and transform parts. > Play the action for other channels.
    2. Crop the chunks in Blender , 3d max, whatever , re-arrange them and ortho render or bake
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I would suggest Transfer Attributes, baking each of the AOVs (diffuse, rough, normal, etc.) from the original UV into the new UV.