Home Career & Education

Principal Artist Vs. Lead Artist

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
X³²Lapis polycounter lvl 10

Hello,

I've been trying to find out some information on the role of a Principal Artist Vs. a Lead Artist.

I've seen some listing for roles which were Principal/Lead Artist as well as Senior Artist/Principal Artist. I found a nice Thread posted here about becoming a Lead Artist by Gav which was a really good read.

But, I'm still not sure what a Principal Artist is. Is a Principal Artist the in between of a senior and a lead?

In my mind a lead artist manages artist, they might not do much art but they help plan the work as well as guide the artists on the path for there development. They talk with the higher ups to figure out what the outcome needs to be and works with the artist to try and achieve that vision as well as having enough knowledge to see potential issues etc.

As for Principal I am not too sure, I thought of them as like a Lead but more focused on Art. They do mentor and help other artist, but don't try to help set the path for the development. Help out with scheduling, managing expectation of the work and ensuring the the vision of the product with the lead.

Thanks!

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

there are no standards to any of this, this stuff is very dependent per company, maybe even project. unlike apprentice, bachelor or master, these titles mean nothing on paper but everything in your resume... makes sense? hehe

So not every great artist is a great lead. not every great artist wants to be a lead either. Not every lead has to be the best artist on the team. In most cases i know, the principal artist is on the same (or higher) level as a lead, but without all the responsibilities which come with being a lead. what a lead does in turn is also very project and company dependent but in almost all cases it means, doing less art, instructing more artists, doing some form of project management etc.

the principal usually doesnt do any of this, they are there to do great art, define the look, on eye level with the lead, inspire but not lead the team.

basically a new level for a better salary. there are companies who add junior, mid, regular and senior to these positions as well. i have seen senior lead artdirector or junior art director positions. sounds weird? well it is just some form of internal hierarchy and might not mean a lot at the next company.

• X³²Lapis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X³²Lapis polycounter lvl 10

ahh Thanks Neox for the reply, really appreciate it.

I also saw some places that were looking for Junior/Senior Lead/Art Director which I figured was probably because they have massive teams. Currently where I am at we only have 6 artist including myself although we will be adding to that.

Thanks again

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

Well then it is easy

Junior

Regular

Lead

Senior Lead

Senior Lead Principal

And

Head of Senior Lead Principal Art Directors

;)

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

Where I'm at principal is a grade and lead is a role.

It's not unheard of for a senior to be a lead and have principals under them.