Homeβ€Ί 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Rooster Mech

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Hikarioishi polycounter lvl 2

Hello Polycount! 😊

I'm currently working on a rooster-shaped-mech and was hoping to get feedback / crits / advice from to help make it the best I can make it. This project was inspired by Emerson Tung's chicken mech from the Tankhead series.

Here's a photobash to illustrate the look / feel I'm going for:

I've strayed a bit from the proportions to make it more rooster-like, and adding in feedback as I receive them.

Here is what I have so far:

Thank you for viewing!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Neat concept to be working on!

The four pistons in the ankle seem really small, like they would instantly break holding that weight. They seem thicker in the concept, and probably closer together. You might rethink that part of the design.

• Hikarioishi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I see that now! Thank you for pointing that out, I'll try to make it make more sense asap.

• Hikarioishi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Did a little more work, addressed the leg / feet connection point and I think it looks more sturdy!

• oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oreoorbitz polycounter lvl 9

I'd reccomend possing the chicken with it's knees bent, like in the inspiration design, it's not really like a real chicken has it's legs, but it's more attractive then the legs just being straight, or maybe look at photos of a featherless chicken, and copy the form of the legs from that. Being able to recognize some real forms will trick viewers into feeling something is more "real".

Also think about making the "Beak" a bit bigger, in the inspiration design, it's actually probably a bit too big to be realistic as far as weight managment goes, which is probably why you made it smaller, but remember that this sort of stuff is a balance between realistic and rule of cool. If it's too big, it'll probably spark that part of a viewers brain that says "Ohey, that makes no sense", but the beak is the mech's main weapon and you want to emphasize that.

• Hikarioishi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you for the feedback! Regarding the bent knees, I definitely agree - but I'm waiting to get the main design and model down before adding rigs and posing it just to avoid complications during the modeling process.

I really agree about making the beak bigger. I was on the fence about the new beak and I'm seeing the same thing now. I might play around with the shape and see what looks better / commands the appropriate amount of attention.

Thank you for the helpful feedback!

• LukeOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukeOConnor triangle

function wise, being able to have the head swivel might be nice, but right now the neck shield looks like it might be connected to the head shield. The neck shield is also plain and uninteresting right now. Maybe consider having varying thickness and following the contours of the neck. Also on the inner part of the neck shield, creating some sort of track for the neck to lock into for it to swivel would be a nice addition.

• Hikarioishi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi Luke!! Thank you for the feedback!! The things you've pointed out give me ideas on how to bring more visual interest to those parts, that was really helpful, thank you!!

I'll definitely work out the movement for the head / neck area and work to bring improvements to the next update!

Thank you so much for the helpful feedback!

• Hikarioishi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Earlier this week, I started adding on some more details for the head neck area - still very early on but I'm trying to make sure it can move some.

• Hikarioishi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Kind of bouncing around atm but I'm working on creating some fancy filigree parts to instance around the mech -

A gem with a filigree frame -

Filigree details on the giant gear on the back -

Rooster bas relief - type decorative piece -

• Hikarioishi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I've taken time to address some feedback received here and slowly started adding in more details around.

• Hikarioishi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Decided to skip posts on the unwrap phase since it was moving slowly and was mostly boring.

I got the rooster in UE4 and started on base materials + a handful of decals but would really appreciate any feedback.

• TRAUMWELT75
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TRAUMWELT75 polycounter lvl 8

this is pretty unique and well done imo :D

• Hikarioishi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you for the encouragement! 😊

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Cool project!

With the current lighting, parts of the model in shadow are super dark as if there was no indirect light or reflections.

I think the contrast of details across the model is quite apparent. Cog (much visible in silhouette) and chimney on the back and scales at neck look much more filigrane than the rest.

Keep it up!

• Hikarioishi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you for the feedback, Fabi_G!!

I definitely see what you're talking about, especially about the super dark shadows, and I agree - thanks for pointing that out, I'll play around with the lighting some more.