Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Stylized Tree Stump

Dolgaror
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Dolgaror polycounter lvl 8

Hello Polycount !

I worked on this small project this past weeks. I wanted to train on stylized assets. I'm pretty much done with it, I just planned to refine a little bit some parts, and maybe add a butterfly.

I struggle with foliage, and i'm not really satisfied with the result i'm getting right now.

Every critics and feedbacks are welcome, this would be a pleasure to have some fresh eyes looking at it !

Thanks !

Replies

• JustusENV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I think it looks pretty good. my only problem is with the dirt chunk that it sits on. something about it is really jarring when compared to the rest of the piece. Maybe if the dirt transitioned into rock or faded off with transparency rather than wrapping around. But other than that it's great, the stump in particulars looks pretty amazing.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hey, cool models 👍️

I think the style and size of the individual elements could be more consistent - the stump looks more chunky and big than the other elements. Particular the leafs are very small and have quite the detailed silhouette (like from a photo).

Regarding the presentation: Too many colored lights for my taste - it gives off rgb colors vibe. I would try a directional sunlight + ambient light and then maybe blueish light for the mushrooms' glow.

I agree with JustusENV - having the ground chunk blend more with ground plane would probably look more natural.

Much success 🍻

• Dolgaror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey ! Thanks for feedback. You are right, I started reworking the ground model to have better and more define sculpt, and I will also work on the blend, as both of you said. And yes about light color and mood, i'm still trying to find a balance between something colorful without being indigest. Thanks for pointing this out ! :)

• Dolgaror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Little update.

I reworked the ground by transitioning to rock texture. I also change a little the shape of the ground. I'm still not really happy with the result, there is still something wrong with it.

I added more grass and also change the lighting to have less colored lights. Maybe it is still too much colored.

• Dolgaror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This week end I reworked the presentation to have less colored light and to have something cleaner. I added butterfly and some other grass. I changed a little the size of the mushroom and leafs.

I still have to refine some textures and some little things and I think I will conclude this project.

Do you think the presentation is better without the ground plane ?

• Dolgaror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It was time for me to complete this project. Thanks a lot for your help and for your time !

You can find this project on my artstation (for some reason I can't post the link here).

Maxime

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
  • Dolgaror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • simonBreumier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    simonBreumier greentooth

I really like the final colors you got compared to your first version, the main subject is more in focus.

I looked at it for a while trying to see if something felt wrong and the main thing I'd find are the leaves. I'd say their color/glow might be too strong and distractive (I'm tempted to look more at those leaves than at the trunk itself).

This is a nice porfolio piece!

• Dolgaror
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you ! Oh yes I struggled to find the right balance between lights and color, but you are right the foliage looks a little distractive. I think I should have get rid of the light I placed there.