Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP][UE4] Hansel and Gretel Environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Aleodor polycounter lvl 7

Hi everyone,

Some time ago I decided to try and make famous environments from books, movies, games, etc. in UE4. This is my second environment that I'm starting to work on, the first one being the entrance of Mines of Moria from The Lord of the Rings books/movies. I only have 2-3 hours a day for this since I have a boring 9-5 job like everyone else on this website right? ...Right? ๐Ÿ˜•

The center piece of this project will be the witch's hut of course. My idea is to have a high contrast between the exterior and interior of the hut. To achieve this, I'm thinking of making the exterior of the hut out of gingerbread, cake and candy, just like in the novel. On the other hand the interior should be dark, grim and even macabre.

My goal is to improve my UE4 skills and make a short cinematic for my portfolio. I will be using Megascans and custom assets/materials.

First step of course it to gather a bunch of references and make a mood board.

After this I made the blockout for the hut and imported it to UE4 where I also made a quick landscape using the landmass plugin. I've also added a small stream/river near the hut just to test how it looks, I think I'm going to keep it. ๐Ÿ˜€

I think the hut is looking a bit small, but I'll tweak that later. So here is where I'm at now. Next thing I'm going to do is to work a bit on the landscape material. I'm going for a realistic look for this environment so I think it will be a bit of a struggle to harmonize the gingerbread hut with the forest around it, but I'll do my best. Any feedback on this is highly appreciated and If you have any questions please let me know!

Thank you for your time and I'll be back soon with more updates!

Replies

• Aleodor
    Offline / Send Message
    Aleodor polycounter lvl 7

Hi guys,

So it's been a while, but I managed to make some progress with the scene in the few free hours that I had. I've added a terrain material and many, many trees, just to get a feel of the forest surrounding the hut. I've also added a subtle fog and a basic LUT.

Looking good so far I think. Still have a lot to do, like making the river feel more real by adding rocks and small waterfalls maybe, but these can wait for a bit. Next thing I'll do is work on the hut and maybe some candy props and materials. Any feedback is highly appreciated! Thank you and see you with the next update.