Home Unity

Where can I find or how can I make a shader that Blends a mesh with Terrain for Unity 2019 ?

Loops
node
Offline / Send Message
Loops node

I'm a 3D Artist and I want to implement terrain blending in my scene. I'm working on version 2019.4.12f1. The thing is that I can't find anywhere online this kind of tool or rather I can't find anywhere how can I make it from scratch. Does anyone know of a way that I can implement the terrain to blend with my meshes? I want the ground to blend smoothly with the rocks I have added to my scene.

If there is an asset like that online I can buy it would be the best, but a tutorial (if there is any) would be no problem.

This is a video example of what I'm looking for, here he doesn't explain how he has done it, only he showcases it. He also has made a part 2 that somehow explains it but I cant understand anything.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick

I've read about this technique before, so I searched the Polycount Forum for "terrain blend" and this was one of the hits: https://polycount.com/discussion/216486/ue4-terrain-mesh-normal-blending-with-virtual-textures-guide

The poster mentions the term "distance fields" which is what I suggest you try searching for in the Unity help, and also the Unity Asset Store. They should have something, since it's been around in Unreal for a few years now.

• ElRacoon37

Hi !

This is an old topic but ...

The guys explain in the video the way how you can achieve that :

• First you need to bake the depth information from your terrain you will use that for the fade between the terrain and your object to make the blend
    • Second you need to bake the world normal from your terrain to rebuild the world tangent and have the same between the terrain and the part of your object you will blend so you will have a smooth intersection between them.

With those information you have just to buy Amplify or use shader graph to do the same shader, i can show you mine because i did it :