Home Technical Talk

Retopo question

focus_method
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 5

Hi,

from where is the best to start retopology?

is it ok to start from eye loops then build it all the way and towards feet ?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

I like to block out the more complex areas each on their own, then connect the areas in between. Just seems easier that way to me.

So like, around the eyes, around the mouth, around the ears, etc. Then connect all that inbetween to fill out the head. Then go and do like the shoulders or the hands, leave the rest of arms, get the hips maybe, then connect all the inbetween.

Doesn't really matter. I think its good to make a quick first draft as fast as you can, then start playing with it to find problem spots and fix them as needed.

• focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    focus_method polycounter lvl 5

so when you say "i like to" - it means there is no actually rule ?

ok,got it

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

stop. searching. for. rules.

it ALWAYS depends, there is never a one solution to every problem out there, you can tackle many things in many more ways. some are faster, some are slower, some a cleaner, some are messier.

for now, maybe do yourself a favor and get a decent basemesh to work with and finish an asset with that.

or as this was just making the rounds

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

lol, so true though!

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

Right, there is no rules.

There is principles. That is a different thing.

I agree with Neox, you should focus on finishing some stuff and don't worry about how it turns out. Just finish first and foremost. Break the habit of procrastinating by tricking yourself into believeing this stuff is so complicated. Make art, put it out there so everybody can laugh it, and keep going like that. Until you have habit of finishing nothing else matters.

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool

is it ok to start from eye loops then build it all the way and towards feet ?

I'd start from the most important part(s) of the character (probably the face on humanoid characters) because time is limited. If you're forced to quickly finish the retopology, it's better to have already finished the important part(s) first and rush the secondary / less-important parts later than the other way around.

On a humanoid character that will be animated, for example, starting to plot edges on the face and joints (fingers, elbows, knees, ankles). The connections between the joints (the forearm, upperarm, thigh, shin, torso etc) can be left as secondary, though you want a good quality overall of course.