Home Technical Talk

What's a good Screen for working with Blender?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
garciiia polycounter lvl 3

I need a new screen and was thinking about getting something around 32 inches for better overview.

But I am a bit confused about all the Specs like VA/IPS Panels, Mini-Led, Hz >145 etc.

I know more Hz is great for gaming/motion and 100sRGB etc. is good for graphic design but it seems like a screen for Animation should be great at everything and gets easily expensive.

The ProArt PA 328 for around 750€ would be my maximum budget but isn't something from Dell with a VA Panel and 144Hz enough? For around 380€.

Asus PA328CGV

Dell S3222DGM

And it looks like LG does nothing in 32 inches?

I work with Blender, Unreal, Ableton, Davinci. And I have no TV, so I should be able to connect and use a PS4 easily 😅

Replies

• Tiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

VA and IPS are simply two different display techniques for a flat screen. VA is cheap and has usually a bit faster reaction times. Which can become an issue when you are a hardcore gamer. Slow reaction times can cause color bleeding with fast moving images. VA is most used in laptops.

IPS costs usually a bit more and is a tiny bit slower (but not this slow anymore that you really run into color bleeding) . But it is look angle stable, more color stable, and is usually also equal bright across the whole screen. So this is what you want for any graphical work.

The rest depends more or less of your budget and personal preferences. The more money you invest the better the screen usually is :)

• garciiia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I got that with the panels. Do you think 1440p at the Asus is OK or should i get something in 4k? I like the high refresh rate and color specs, but a similat model in 32" 4k would be 300€ more.

• Tiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth

Dunno, i still work at a 1920 monitor. What still stops me is that quite a few software still struggles with a 4K display. But you better ask somebody who has experience in this area. I cannot really give advice here :)

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

I've been using 4k displays for 8 years with no major issues.

The pro art screens are great (spec Vs price wise)

In the same price bracket...

Dells expensive (ultrasharp?) screens are worth a look - build quality on this year's models is a bit ropey though.

Benq have a couple of very nice models as well.

But...

Unless you know the actual reason you want better than 99% srgb coverage (most people don't) then you can get a perfectly usable screen for half that price and not have to sacrifice refresh and response times for the games we all know you're going to play on it ;)

Genuine pro quality color accurate screens start at around 3000 - the semi pro offerings are a good middle ground for those who need to worry about color accuracy but aren't mastering film or doing color grading (eg, material artists, render engineers etc)

• garciiia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I actually only play JRPGs like currently Lost Odyssey, which comes with unstable <30fps. The last time I tried a modern game was BF2042 and that wasn't worth my time or any attention in regards of spending money for hardware.

The Ultrasharps are all over 1000€, right?

I think you are right with the color and maybe I can safe a bit on that.

I thought maybe 4k is too much anyway when I still want to read the UIs.

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool

Any cheap $300 IPS sRGB monitor like 98 % of sRGB + colorimeter are perfectly fine for anything . Much better than expensive one without colorimeter. I always suggest to spend money to something like x-right colormunkey or spider rather than expensive monitor. And it's often cheaper in sum.

If your don't setup ACES properly any expensive monitor with 130% sRGB would show you insanely vivid colors forcing you to make dead looking art . And in Blender viewport It's still sRGB output by default last time I looked into it. If I am not wrong.

So $1000 screen would rather be one more extra pain in your a.. You should first know what are you doing and understand color management. , ACES and ICC ones probably before buying .

• garciiia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That's a good point.

A friend of mine has one of those spider-things and i was in hope to set everything up with him.

But tbh neither are correct colors or high refresh rates important if I do Animations with Blender for YouTube/Instagram users in maximum 30fps.

What I really need is a screen which won't hurt my eyes like my current one does and that i can see a lot of stuff and can read it.

I wanted to take a look at a 32 inch WQHD screen but there were none in the local stores. Just to see if the UI scale is nice...

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666

There's really no perfect all-in-one screen atm. We're still years away from MicroLED becoming available at the consumer level (not to be confused with MiniLED) so light haloing is present on all panels other then OLED. Samsung recently showed off QD-OLED which may offer a decent solution to the OLED burn in problem, but it's not on the market yet. IPS panels all suffer from poor contrast (and very often backlight bleed), while VA panels tend to have terrible motion clarity for the trade off of better contrast.

Also, If you want really good motion clarity then you'll mostly be limited to 1080p sets (note that higher refresh rates do not automatically mean better motion clarity). These are almost always designed with competitive gaming in mind, where 1080p is still king, so higher resolution monitors don't get the same attention from manufacturers in this area. (blurbusters.com is a good site to read over if you're interested in this area of monitor tech)

Keep in mind that screens that advertise very high color gamuts aren't necessarily good for creating art, since many of them will over saturate colors and lack presets for displaying a standard gamut (all of Dells current screens lack an sRGB mode for instance). This means what you think looks good on one of these screens may look very different on most other peoples screens.

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool

Theoretically games on unreal engine with ACES support should output different signals on sRGB or wide gamut monitor with right colors compensated for screen extra saturation . as well as for HDR monitors . That's the basic purpose of ACES actually , to show accurate colors on a monitor of any gamut , including future ones. I am just not sure Unreal does it by default like Photoshop and does it not for some abstract output device profile but rather a specific profile of your exact monitor you build on your own with help of x-rite or spider granting you really accurate colors.

Those devices as far as I know doesn't work on HDR monitors because their sensors would be blinded probably by nuke brightness. You would need much more expensive pro level calibration device probably ( I never tried to calibrate HDR so not 100% sure )

But anyway expensive monitor is IMO just an extra pain in your ass for an ability to show you 'referenced' i.e slightly more real and accurate reproduction of super acid colors. Those ones you hardly ever see in real nature.

• garciiia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks a lot for the informations.

I can't find a decent cheap one here, so i will go with something that will just give me the most convinience for the moment: good to look at, and a lot of space - high refresh rates would be nice but i spend a lot of time in ableton and turn based games so i will wait for the next one to be over 60hz. I'll wait for some reviews of the PD3205U and upcoming ProArt while current models restock.