Game Mechanic Studios is looking for mid or senior level environment artist for a full time position. The ideal candidate would be familiar with Unreal Engine 4 and/or Unity as well as the modern pipeline for current gen asset creation. GMS is located in North Hollywood, CA, but working remote is possible upon request. GMS was founded in 2008 by veterans of the game industry. We are currently hard at work making our first original IP and need top-level talent to bring our vision to life.
if you are interested, please send a resume and/or portfolio links to the following address:
In this role you will:
- Help develop and maintain asset pipelines for varied art styles and game engines.
- Create high quality assets for Artists to use as style and tech guidelines.
- Manage and maintaining level lighting, weather, day/night systems of other dynamic environmental systems.
- Collaborate with the art, design, and engineering teams to define art pipeline and workflows; R&D new techniques and best practices to implement into production pipeline
- Work closely with the Art Director and leads to establish artistic style and ensure unified look and consistent quality across game environments
- Provide mentorship, feedback, and training to others on the team
- Visualize environments from concept to completion with minimal direction. Gather reference, and work collaboratively to create and deliver high-quality and photorealistic 3D models/environments
- Lead by example, including demonstrating a willingness to give and receive feedback, collaborate with others to share techniques, ideas, and contribute to a positive working environment
- Optimize and implement art assets
Skills and abilities we are looking for:
- Experience shipping games or products in Unity and Unreal
- High level expertise in Maya and Photoshop or equivalent software
- In-depth knowledge of material/shader development and experience with Substance Designer/Painter or equivalent software
- Strong 2D and 3D artistic skills, with demonstrated excellence in compositional and visual storytelling skills
- Demonstrated exceptional visual and technical understanding in sculpting, 3D modeling, texturing, materials creation, baking maps, lighting, and post effects
- Practical experience combining emerging lighting techniques (baked & realtime) and post-processing
- Ability to lead, mentor and provide feedback to internal artists as well as contractors and external client side teams
- Understanding of what is required for getting the best visual fidelity on performance challenged platforms such as VR and mobile.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Strong technical knowledge to ensure assets are optimal for performance and memory
- Leadership and Management experience
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Technical experience, profiling, scripting knowledge
- Knowledge of VFX
- Familiar with versioning management systems (Perforce, Git, etc.) and game engine collaboration best-practices (prefabs, asset naming, organized directory hierarchies, etc.)
- Experience with Unity techniques such as the scriptable render pipeline and the shader graph
- Deep understanding of particle system utilization for VFX
Again, if you are interested, please send a resume and/or portfolio links to the following address: