Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4

hi,

What kind of shaders will be the best to choose for the following scene:

it will contain

wooden table,

some props of brass material (which is metal right),

wooden floor,

table cover (i want to make this with opacity maps so there will be a lot of small holes)

later, i want to render it in marmoset toolbag 4

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

Those can all use the default PBR metal/roughness shader.

Unless you are doing something stylized, most materials can use the default shader.

If you are doing a big project it probably makes sense to try and get parity between your texturing app and your rendering app. But if its not a mountain of work you have to do, I think its probably simpler to view your in-progress textures on a channel basis (i.e. when doing the color texture, just view as color, not composite render), and then evaluate the final composite render in your render engine (marmoset).

Marmoset makes that easy with the auto-load feature which is enabled by default. So each time you export your textures, they'll auto-reload so you can view how they'll look in your final lighting/render environment. No surprises that way.

Toolbag 4 also has a very competent texturing toolset. For my needs, I pretty much use it exclusively, cutting substance out of the picture. If you are also going to render in toolbag 4, seems like a good case to try out their texturing tools as well. Simplifies the workflow.

• focus_method
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    focus_method polycounter lvl 4

maybe to go with pbr metal rough with alpha blending

because i will use opacity maps(transparency) on the table cover

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

That sounds right. I forgot in substance the default option doesnt has alpha enabled.