Home Technical Talk

maya or 3ds max for hard surface modeling?

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4

Hi,

when we speak about production ready models, what is better to use for 3d modeling of hard surface/props/weapons, maya, or max ?

In other words, is it fine if i continue using 3ds max bcz i already use it for several years.

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

use what you're comfortable and proficient with. one dcc is not "better" than the other, you won't suddenly have better results using a diff software ie, your skills is the determining factor, not software.

• focus_method
    Offline / Send Message

yes, i already know that.

I just want to make sure.

So for example, if somebody wants to make 3d characters, because of eventually rigging, and grooming in xgen i would definitely recommend maya over max.

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

Its totally fine to stay with max for hard surface modelling, you can do similar things in maya but considering how destructive the workflow is, i would definitely stay with max

• focus_method
    Offline / Send Message

ok, nice,

what format do you recommend to export for substance and marmoset toolbag ?

fbx or obj ?

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master

fbx and always triangulate.

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

What Kanni said if its just marmoset and substance for texturing, keep in mind to use Mikk Tangentspace.

But those settings really depend on the project, the tangent space and a ton of factors.

for maya tangent space productions i found that straight up obj without hardtriangulation works great in most cases

a compute normals workflow for unreal uses different settings than an import normals workflow in unreal. unity uses different stuff at times, don't get me started on proprietary engine stuff. Marmoset toolbag is pretty forgiving compared to other engines, stuff usually looks great there but doesnt necessarily look the same inside other engines with the same tangentspace, i personally suggest to at least dip your toes into actual game engines, marmoset is a nice realtime renderer but just not the same as what you'd use in production anymore.

But in the end, it doesnt matter. make sure your portfolio looks top notch, the technical specifics of certain productions can be learned quickly once hired for a gig.