Home Adobe Substance

What subjects Adobe Sampler AI is good for?

gnoop
polycounter
Offline / Send Message
gnoop polycounter

I see it works for small pebbles on a ground surface pretty nicely . At least something you can use . But anything extra I tried looks so-so. Much the same as pre AI way i.e. crazy bump.

Rocks - it can't cope with shadows , shape of rocks is kind of melted and unspecific .

Any grainy flat surface like concrete or asphalt with seams - appears with a kind of random low frequency bumps all around . Whatever sliders combination I try they are still there. Seams are kind of blurry. the grainy nature of asphalt is also kind of so-so, a tad bit blurry that impacts surface highlight and get you a bit plastic look .

Grass - sometimes okish but most time just a random mess .

And since Adobe killed content aware fill in Sampler ( it was slow as hell but still the best feature of Sampler IMO) I often have to do it in Photoshop and Sampler AI hates it a lot . Creates all kind of weird stuff along Content aware fill areas.

Does anyone managed to use it for something good? What would be a trick? Do we have a hope for AI or it will never be anything but a toy?

Anyone tried Artomatix lately ? How it is in comparison?

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator

The delighter AI is trained mostly on floors/grounds and walls of all kinds. The latest version also covers fabrics.

From my experience it's miles better than B2M for anything that has actual features (pavement, stones, twigs, bricks, etc.) but it will likely struggle on very uniform materials like a grainy asphalt since it's hard to extract any feature from.

It will also not deal with sharp direct shadows very well at the moment.

If you have some examples where it should work but doesn't, I would love to be able to share them with the team.

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter

Thanks for the hint Jerc , Yeah, twigs on a ground surface turns surprisingly ok. In general it does small details pretty nicely. My concern although is with something outside of micro scale , something mid sized maybe. It always appear with a kind of soft, blurry or a bit melted down shape. Like this for example.

It's cool that AI recognizes the subject and tries to produce a proper shape but nevertheless all the sharp edges are gone. Stones look like pieces of melting ice. It's better than my last year try with same subject although.

Here is another picture of similar issue:

On the left is a same piece done with reality capture . not very hi res either but I still recognize pieces of flat asphalt chunks chipped away wile Sampler AI makes those cracks kind of blurry and rounded .

I am not sure maybe I am too picky and want too much from AI but IMO that softy, melted down shape is kind of eye catchy in a game , especially with low sun . I wonder if we could hope for further advance of Ai height reconstruction or it never gonna be same good as actual scan? For this asphalt piece it could probably be helpful if we could make an Ai assisted selection of flat and elevated chunks and use it as a guide for height reconstruction AI or give it a hint like "chipped off asphalt chunks , flat with sharp edges "

Anyone tried Artomatix lately , or whatever its Unity new name. I did more than year ago and it had same issue that time.