Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dragon Hunter WIP

Ottomotto
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Ottomotto polycounter lvl 5

Hi, I'm working on this character, really struggling with the cape for now so I'd like some critique and help. The cape in the original concept isn't entirely realistic in the way it bunches up and holds itself, but the way it is in the concept really helps the silhouette and is what really makes the character imo, so I'd like to replicate it. I've tied to sim it in marvellous designer for hours and there's no "realistic" result that can achieve the silhouette, so now I've been trying to sculpt it while staying close to the concept. I think it looks better but I'm not entirely sure if it looks right, I'm not sure if I'm balancing the stylised shape and the actual cloth sculpt properly, or if it just comes off like I don't know what I'm doing with cloth. Still WIP so I'll be getting to the lumpy areas in due time, and the back is like that just from being mirrored, ill figure out the actual creases there eventually, right now I want to figure it out from the front since that's going to be the most important view.

concept is by Rodrigo Balmaceda

Replies

• Bolovorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master

Typically I think it's accepted if something isn't necessarily "realistic" when it comes to situations like this. I think it's more important to capture the silhouette and "feel" of the concept when not working on something where realism is the main focus.

That being said, I think the sculpt is looking great and you're definitely capturing the "feel" of the concept.

• Ottomotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yep, I agree, I'm definitely not going for realism on the cape, nor am I concerned that its realistic, it's more that I'm worried about making sure it doesn't just look like I don't know how to sculpt cloth properly, so I wanted a few new sets of eyes to take a look and see if it comes across right. I've been referencing the capes in sculpts for figure statues alot, I think that's the sort of look i should go for.

• Ottomotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Halfway done with texturing. Lighting is still rough, just previewing the textures in Unreal. Couple props missing that's why the pose doesn't make sense, there's a sword missing.

I think I'm done with this glove. I'm really not sure when to call something done, I want to make it as close to perfect as I can.

I'd really like some tips on lighting and let me know what you think about the glove.