Home Unreal Engine

UE4 - Black random artifacts on mesh with Normal map.

SouravW1
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
SouravW1 polycounter lvl 4

Hi, does anybody gets the similar issue on the mesh in unreal? The normal map looks fine in Substance painter or Marmoset, but not in UE4. How to get cleaner mesh without this black artifacts in UE4?

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

If you don't proactively control your triangulation, there is no way for you to know if Substance and UE4 will process it the same way, respectively on bake and on import (they won't).

Different triangulation = different mesh data = incompatible baked normalmaps.

There are other factors at play, but you can't skip on that one.

• SouravW1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@pior Thanks for replying, I'm confused how to control the triangulation process. I used maya fbx export settings which has the mesh triangulation option to tick on or off, I don't know any other way to control traingulation. Also the result is same when creating a completely different mesh with quads and re-baking the maps and importing them to UE. The problem is partially gone when using harden edge and soften edge in the mesh, but then seams are visible in the mesh. In this particular mesh I do have some triangles on other areas too, but there the maps looking good without any issue. Is there any way to match the UE4 triangulation process from maya or substance or any other way?

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Don't get lost in what you think may or may not work, as you are obviously not at that point yet. Start by triangulating manually in Maya before export (as in : making sure that your object is fully tris, in the scene) and run your test bakes that way. Then, once that works, you'll be able to worry about the finer points of the process.

On a more global note : no, there is no way to ensure that two apps will triangulate the same on import/export/bake ; and not a single pipeline out there relies on such a gamble. 100% of the (accurate) pipelines rely on forcing it proactively, one way or another.

• SouravW1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@pior Thanks, sure will test that out.

• SouravW1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@pior Thanks pior, its really solved the issue. Thank you.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It's the magic of Christmas !