Home Technical Talk

Switching rig question

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
nico1984 polycounter lvl 4

hey guys/girls, i am a 3d sculptor i work with Zbrush and blender mostly, i am thinking on takeing a looong trip and, i have a desktop i7,16 gb ram 1 TB hdd and a 1070 Strix nvidia card, i was thinking to replace it with a laptop, dell vostro , i7 11390h, 32 gb ram 256 sdd drive as you can see there is no dedicated video card in the new rig, i heard Zbrush makes no use of video card, so my question is would this laptop effectivly replace my desktop in production work?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I just switched back to a tower, after using a 3D laptop for the last 5 years. As a freelancer it was nice being able to bring a laptop to work onsite with a client, but that's about all it was nice for. In every other situation it was a poorer solution. The biggest drawbacks...

• 3d laptops drain the battery very quickly, so you're always carrying around a heavy power brick, and always pluggnig in.
    • 3d laptops are heavy, which makes them a pain to carry around.
    • cooling is terrible, so components wear out faster.

For your situation, Zbrush doesn't really use a GPU. It's all CPU, and RAM is important too. So you're in a good situation with your spec. But Blender however will want a decent GPU, so it would suck having to use an integrated one. And you still run into the battery and cooling problems.

Some more advice here FWIW https://polycount.com/discussion/173350/upgrading-or-building-a-new-pc-this-is-the-thread-for-you/p1

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

the amd mobile APUs have significantly better integrated graphics than the intels.

I've got a 5500u with vega8 graphics and it's adequate for fairly lightweight 3d work. it'll run unreal, you can model (only use max), you can use substance designer as long as you dont wrk at high resolution etc.

my previous 3200g was similar, just less capable.

if you can't get a dedicated gpu I'd strongly advise going amd - unless you plan to add an external gpu where you really want thunderbolt support (which requires intel )

• nico1984
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nico1984 polycounter lvl 4

i suspect that blender requires strong GPUS for rendering purposes wich i bearly use now days, the most complex stuff i render is turntables and video edits, my main source of work is 3d printing models, none the less i will look up amd as an option, thank you for your answers!!!