Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Garrus Vakarian - Mass Effect

triangle
Offline / Send Message
SgtHK triangle

So during my free time in the past few months I've been working on my own design for Garrus from the Mass Effect series. I'm just 2/3rds of the way done with him. I've just finished texturing his torso piece. If all goes well, this material can be applied to the rest of his hard-surface armor with minimal effort.

Sculpted in Zbrush, hard-surfaced in 3ds Max, textured with Substance Painter, and rendered with Vray.

Here are some full-body renders

For fans of the Mass Effect series, you might notice that his proportions here are slightly different from the game. Let me explain why:

In the original game models, many of the characters were largely animated using mocap. Since the people doing the mocap were of course humans, all the humans and human-like characters were designed and rigged with similar skeletons and proportions, to make transferring animations from one character to another much easier. But this also limited the design of the alien characters, who had to have body proportions similar to that of humans. From a game development point of view, it was practical.

(In the picture below, I rescaled both images so that they are of the same height. As you can see, their joint placements and bone proportions are more or less the same.

But scientifically this wouldn't make sense, as beings who evolved from another world would most likely develop different body proportions which would suit their environments better. Therefore, in my own version of Garrus I took the liberty of making him look more alien and less human -- longer legs and torso, bigger hands, wider shoulders, thinner waist, and an overall taller physique. But I was careful to not overdo it, as I still wanted to maintain his familiar appearance.

If all goes well I should be able to finish him before Christmas. Feedback and critique is always welcome!

Replies