Home Technical Talk

Zbrush, How can i preserve brush intensity when changing its size

Bassaouk
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Bassaouk polycounter lvl 3
Hi, i have 2 questions. How can i preserve brush intensity when changing its size? In the screenshot the strokes have same Z intensity but different Draw size.

And how can i use Layer brush with square alpha without having jagged effects? Because when i decrease the focal shift the layer brush looks weird.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator

AFAIK, it's best to think of the brushes as being 3d spheres, even though the cursor just looks like a 2d ring. It's not like picking a static displacement value via the intensity slider, and then independently controlling the brush size to paint that value.  The size of the brush will dictate not just the area that is affected, but its overall potential for pushing or pulling. The intensity then adjusts that potential. Unfortunately the Intensity slider doesn't appear to be linear, so you'll want to keep that static and turn your attention to the Brush: Curve instead.

If your smallest brush size represents the maximum displacement value that you want, you can proportionally adjust (lower) the curve strength to correspond with increases to that brush size. If you go 2x bigger than the base size, lower the curve to 50%. If you go 4x bigger than the base size, drop the curve to 25%, and so on (math warning). Alternatively you can leave the curve value untouched and just drop the Offset value instead (just know that it is inversed).

https://i.imgur.com/3WabDg6.jpg

Depending on what you're trying to achieve, a better work around might be just to mask off the area instead of sculpting on it, and then use Tool: Deformation: Inflate slider instead to get a consistent displacement. This can potentially take care of the jagged edges as well (a natural side effect of painting with a hard-edged/ square alpha with high intensity).  

Otherwise, if you want a hard edged extrusion you might want to consider an approach that actually adds new geometry, such as the Topology Brush.