Home Technical Talk

Questions about minimum hardware and running out of video memory

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

I've got a question for any of you hardware gurus out there:

I’ve had a report from a playtester about a CTD because of running out of video memory (error reports below):

They’ve shared their system specs - this is an inspiron 5570 laptop. I dont see the GPU mentioned but I google searched, and it seems like it might have an AMD Radeon 530.

I am not a hardware guy, but from what I can tell this is like, very low end laptop that should only be expected to run basic games. Am I correct in that assumption?

I am trying to determine if it is reasonable to try and optimize the lower graphics settings to be able to perform on hardware like this in my game. For reference, here is some images what my project looks like:

It is an open world with dynamic lighting and lots of foliage. My development machine is this:

and on high graphics settings the game runs around 30fps on my machine. On ultra it sometimes dips below 30fps during sunrise/sunset when shadows are longer. Usually the GPU draw time is ~20m/s.

If I reduce screen resolution to 90% usually the FPS gets closer to 60fps.

Besides the obvious stuff of reduce texture size, view distance, shadow res, etc, I am not sure there is much I can do?

I’d appreciate any advice from you hardware gurus. Thanks!

Update: 

User has updated about their GPU: 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also note that I think the person did not have a chance to reduce graphics settigns from the default of HIGH because the game loads directly into the level with all the foliage, at the moment. In which case, yeah I guess you couldnt expect that GPU to run this game on high settings.

But the question remains, would it be reaosnable to expect a machine like that to run a game like this if shadows and grass are disabled, textures reduced, draw distance reduced, and so on? Or would that still be a lost cause.

In another week or so I'll be delivering an update that loads into an empty level with UI only, giving a chance to lower graphics ahead of time so we'll see. But would still be nice to see some more experienced thoughts about the matter.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    They got Fortnite running on phones with (they claim)  the same project as the PC version so it's theoretically possible provided you have sufficient time, resources, experience and are willing to adjust the scope of the project. 

Since (I assume) you're not a large studio that's already making tens of millions off the already shipped PC and console versions of the game I'd suggest you have better things to spend your time on.

My recommendation would be to ..
    a: build a settings menu ASAP - even if it's just low/med/high
    b: target the average steam machine (which is roughly what you're already running iirc) and make sure you get the actual game ( with all the logic / vfx / AI etc. running) constantly hitting your target frame rate  & resolution at low/medium settings. 
    This puts you in the ballpark of getting it to run on last gen consoles and gives you breathing room for turning shiny shit on for the new hardware

just a note on settings - I'm sure you've thought about it though
    if this is multiplayer you have to consider the impact of disabling things like foliage and shadows on game balance - plenty of people have died to hiding in invisible grass in games like DayZ and PUBG 

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    .... the game I'd suggest you have better things to spend your time on.

My recommendation would be to ..
    a: build a settings menu ASAP - even if it's just low/med/high
    b: target the average steam machine (which is roughly what you're already running iirc)....

just a note on settings - I'm sure you've thought about it though...

Thanks @poopipe

yeah my main concern is if its a good use of time or not because there is too much work to do already and I didn't know if a machine like this is typical or at the extreme end.

Now I am thinking that if this guy can load into an empty level first and then adjust graphics settings to low (and this pretty much disables all grass, shadows, and reduces lods to minimum), it should be able to run on that machine. I'd hope so anyway, but if not I am not worried because as you've described, the game runs with satisfactory performance on my machine at high and even ultra settings most of the time.

About disabling grass and gameplay, in this case I don't have to worry too much - it's single player only. It will make gameplay slightly easier for players but I'd rather that they just be able to play period. 

• Mink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 5
    Most games assign startup settings based on detected video memory, and initially load into a small 3d scene main menu before entering the larger game to preview performance. Just, like, do that. And also, at the end of your project, run through and optimize everything. Add graphics settings to your mastermaterials, optimize your channel packing, and decide if you can safely lower the default mip of any given texture by one or two. Don't worry too much about optimization before you're done with just about everything else, but don't skip it either. For now, just set default launch settings to "low."
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink said:
    Most games assign startup settings based on detected video memory....
    Understood, all makes sense.

About detecting video memory, I'll have to research about that. The rest is things I've done a little of but yeah - you end up swapping out so much stuff back and forth its kinda pointless to do too much until the end -  at the end I'll have to just go through everything with a comb and get it all squared away.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Just updating here for posterity:

regarding running a hardware benchmark, unreal has some built in blueprints for that here: