Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Topology help needed

b_rizzae
node
Offline / Send Message
b_rizzae node
Hi all, so i'm trying to model a Nokia 3310 cos why not?! I'm struggling with how to organise the topology around the buttons. So far all i've done is booleaned where the buttons need to go but haven't done much clean up. I think i inset around button 2 to tighten up the edges but the rest is a mess. Wondering how you pros/experienced modellers out there would do. Any help and guidance would be appreciate.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    My holes are a bit of a different shape,but you get the picture. I'd personally try to get the hole shapes correct on a flat surface and then use a deformer to get the curved shape of the phone face.

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    is this supposed to be a Lowpoly model? Subdivision model? or a midpoly?
  • kanga
  • b_rizzae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b_rizzae node
    My holes are a bit of a different shape,but you get the picture. I'd personally try to get the hole shapes correct on a flat surface and then use a deformer to get the curved shape of the phone face.

That looks really nice and clean. I think the difference between your example there and the Nokia 3310 is the proximity of the buttons to each other. Re. making the holes first, i have actually blocked out the entire phone as you can see in my pictures, and now i'm trying to add the detail.

One question regarding your mesh: are the poles between the buttons a problem? I'm a total n00b but as i understood, poles were ok on flat surfaces only. 
  • b_rizzae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b_rizzae node
    wirrexx said:
    TBH i don't really know. I was trying to stick to a game asset workflow, so thought that the lower poly the better. then add the detail non-destructively using a subsurf modifier. Is this wrong?
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    b_rizzae said:
    wirrexx said:
    TBH i don't really know. I was trying to stick to a game asset workflow, so thought that the lower poly the better. then add the detail non-destructively using a subsurf modifier. Is this wrong?
    No! either hi/lo or visa versa, whatever you're comfortable with.

As for the model, look's as though it'll be a headscratcher even for someone with slightly more subd experience so another suggestion would be to use floaters, instead of generating contiguous geometry on the face of that fone.

edit.
    and plenty of examples in our subd modeling thread pinned top of the tech section, Kanga had earlier pointed too, upthread.

• b_rizzae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b_rizzae node
    Nice. Thanks for the link sacboi. Interesting seeing that workflow. After spending a bit of time yesterday, i started again and decided to add loop cuts to where the buttons would be then deleted the faces. tweaked the positions of them with the subsurf mod and it seemed to work ok. Not sure if this is an industry standard way of working but think i was able to keep the poly count down fairly well and still stick to the original design 
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    b_rizzae said:
    Nice. Thanks for the link sacboi. Interesting seeing that workflow. After spending a bit of time yesterday, i started again and decided to add loop cuts to where the buttons would be then deleted the faces. tweaked the positions of them with the subsurf mod and it seemed to work ok. Not sure if this is an industry standard way of working but think i was able to keep the poly count down fairly well and still stick to the original design 

don't worry about polycount at this stage, you're making a high-res mesh first (hence the subsurf modifier) - which then will be baked down to a low-res mesh.

worrying about polycount at a hi-resh mesh stage will only handicap you hardcore, totally don't need to consider it.