Home Career & Education

Is my portfolio good enough for 3D artist or prop art position in games industry ?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ElyesBens polycounter lvl 5
Portfolio : 
https://www.artstation.com/elyesbens

Hello polycounters ! I've been sending applications to several game studios for a 3D artist position, and i get rejections all the time. 
Is my portfolio not enough and/or is the quality not there yet for such a position ? Or does it not have enough pieces for a good judgement ? 

PS : i need a visa sponsorship for most of the countries i apply to, i though maybe this is a big factor. 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I think it's all well done and well showcased. 

Perhaps the samurai sword scene is not of the same quality as other props. The models and textures might be but the lighting and particle effects feel like they aren't up to par.

Perhaps a new diorama scene similar to the samurai swords but with improved lighting and a more cinematic presentation could help make the portfolio more impressive. 

If I was looking for some help making props I wouldn't expect you to not be able to perform. But then again, there is about one million other people who can make fine looking guns and other props too. So then if I compare you to them (and the job is remote) then the deciding factor is going to be 2 things: price and communication skills. 

Communication skills is a personality thing but price is something you don't want to be the deciding factor. Then it's a race to the bottom. 

So I think to avoid things coming down to price you have to show more specialization, developed over a larger library of content. If somebody looks at your portfolio and immediately gets a sense like, "okay, if I need X done, this is the guy to do it," then you are in a position with greater leverage. 

Anyway, I'd say you are doing good quality work, but getting work in a crowded market will take persistence and sacrifice. If you can showcase a specialty that will help set you apart. And it seems you do have the aptitude to actually become specialized in something. Just a matter of time and focus.

• ElyesBens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:
    I think it's all well done and well showcased. 

Perhaps the samurai sword scene is not of the same quality as other props. The models and textures might be but the lighting and particle effects feel like they aren't up to par.

Perhaps a new diorama scene similar to the samurai swords but with improved lighting and a more cinematic presentation could help make the portfolio more impressive. 

If I was looking for some help making props I wouldn't expect you to not be able to perform. But then again, there is about one million other people who can make fine looking guns and other props too. So then if I compare you to them (and the job is remote) then the deciding factor is going to be 2 things: price and communication skills. 

Communication skills is a personality thing but price is something you don't want to be the deciding factor. Then it's a race to the bottom. 

So I think to avoid things coming down to price you have to show more specialization, developed over a larger library of content. If somebody looks at your portfolio and immediately gets a sense like, "okay, if I need X done, this is the guy to do it," then you are in a position with greater leverage. 

Anyway, I'd say you are doing good quality work, but getting work in a crowded market will take persistence and sacrifice. If you can showcase a specialty that will help set you apart. And it seems you do have the aptitude to actually become specialized in something. Just a matter of time and focus.

Thank you !! This very helpful indeed :) 
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    The first thing that I notice is that two of your projects are from tutorials. I think you need to take what you learn from a tutorial and use the knowledge you got from it to make your own project like the PS1 you made. Artstation is filled with Petrovs tutorial pistol and the flipped normals fan, studios will notice that its just a piece made by following a tutorial. You need a couple of more props that are made by you.

As for the visa, thats a tough one. Most companies wont give a visa to a junior. If you like to make props you could work remotely for something like dekogon, keep working on your skills and eventually try to apply for a regular/senior position.
  • ElyesBens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 said:
    The first thing that I notice is that two of your projects are from tutorials. I think you need to take what you learn from a tutorial and use the knowledge you got from it to make your own project like the PS1 you made. Artstation is filled with Petrovs tutorial pistol and the flipped normals fan, studios will notice that its just a piece made by following a tutorial. You need a couple of more props that are made by you.

As for the visa, thats a tough one. Most companies wont give a visa to a junior. If you like to make props you could work remotely for something like dekogon, keep working on your skills and eventually try to apply for a regular/senior position.
    Thanks for the advice man, i'm going to post more personal work soon.