Home Technical Talk

UV unwrapping issues in Blender

Hi everyone, I'm working on a coffee maker, and I have some problems with the uv unwrapping of the lid. The texture on the edges is quite stretched. I have applied all transforms, normals are facing outside, doubles are removed. I have tried a lot of ways to mark the seams, but still could not avoid the stretching. I left the seams on the top part and around the edges. Does anyone know how to unwrap this properly? I would really appreciate your help

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hey :) You could do this:
    • uv splits along edges of lid
    • uv splits along curvature of handle (it's basically a wide edge)
    • remember to split uvs along the low polys hard edges to avoid artifacts when baking
    • straighten uv strips of edges to save uv space (I can recommend TexTools addon for this)

UV islands could then look something like this

• blender_1234
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thank you so much for your quick answer :) I transformed a little bit the lid in order to achieve similar uv islands you suggested, and the pattern is no longer stretched. But I had to remove the thickness of the edge in the inside of the lid, and i don't know how to get it back without causing artifacts. I've tried to extrude the faces inwards along the normals in the inner part, but that doesn't work. Do you have any idea how it could be done?

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Looks like the extrude went wrong? missing the edges here? Maybe disable subd modifier for now and check that model is correct first.

You should not have to remove the geometry. Set seams along the desired edges and unwrap. Some edges (with different edge lengths) will unwrap into a curved shape and you will then have to straighten them manually. 

In blender you can do this by straighten one face of an UV island (using "Align X" and "Align Y" functions on edges), then right-clicking it and calling "Follow active Quads" (this only works for all quads strips). I use an addon called "TexTools" which allows for straightening of multiple stripes at once by calling "rectify" function.

You could also to unwrap the lid by just setting a seam separating top and bottom.
    At the end of the day, you just have to try it out and test bake :)
    Maybe watch different peoples workflows to get a better understanding (like this)

(And just to make sure, the UVs I posted above was only an example with similar shaped mesh to illustrate my points)
  • blender_1234
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, by extruding the faces the edges go inwards, this is the problem I'm trying to fix. The model itself seems to be correct to me. I've tried to straighten some edges of the uv islands in the uv editor, but unfortunately it stretches the pattern.