Home Technical Talk

ZBrush Performance issue

Hello everyone, 

I am using Zbrush 2019 but I switched my GPU and I am now noticing that the performance is struggling.
I have currently a project with a lot of subtools (+- 100) and I am subdividing them individually. In total I have around 2 mill active points but the performance is struggling.

I am especially experiencing lag/stutter during rotating and panning of the mesh.

My specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3600X
GPU: 3070 FE
RAM: 32 Gb

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    100 subtools seems a bit much. I work on an older gamming laptop that only has 8 GB RAM and 12 mil points in play is a normal amount of points. Have you tried setting all your subtools low and only upping the one you are working on? If that isn't it it may be a dodgy mesh in the mix in which case you can try bringing them in one by one till the app starts to stutter (doing that 100 times doesn't sound fun). If all that doesn't work try to find a creative way to split up your project.
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Hello everyone, 

I am using Zbrush 2019 but I switched my GPU and I am now noticing that the performance is struggling.
    I have currently a project with a lot of subtools (+- 100) and I am subdividing them individually. In total I have around 2 mill active points but the performance is struggling.

I am especially experiencing lag/stutter during rotating and panning of the mesh.

My specs:
    CPU: Ryzen 3600X
    GPU: 3070 FE
    RAM: 32 Gb

Hide them or work in solo mode tbh. From the sounds of the rotating/panning lag, I think it's cpu related, 100+ subtools is a fair amout to ask of a low-mid tier cpu, check core use when in ZB and panning, you'll probably find everything maxes out and there isn't going to be much for that size of a project except spliting the project up or otherwise not rendering everything in view the whole time. Or start thinking about a saving for a threadripper
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    AFAIK, Zbrush doesn't really use GPU outside of perhaps a few of the plugins. Their only listed GPU requirement even for v2022.0.1 is "pretty much anything made in the last 14 years". 

I recall there being a few threads about performance issues a version or two back, particular when zoomed in or changing views, though I forget if 2019 was one of them.  It could be worth hunting those threads down to see if they had any solutions. 

It might also be worth making sure you're not trying to sculpt with Dynamic Subdivision sneakily turned on, and maybe even try using a smaller document size since the canvas is still pixel based. 
  • Kolifander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is quite annoying that every time I start my Zbrush, I have to change the document size? Any way on how to the dimensions saved?
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth