Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vampire Character Concept Design

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
TravisBolek polycounter lvl 16
I've been working on this character off and on for several years thinking I've settled on a character design but I keep going back and forth on it. I recently revisited the design as what I had settled on, I didn't feel satisfied with.

A brief background of the character and setting: it's a post-apocalyptic world where vampires and other mythological creatures rule and there are bands of humans who hunt them. This character, she is one of them. For her design I want her to look rugged. Her outfit has been cobbled together from different sources because it's difficult to find things. She has some protection for her neck. She is resourceful so she has some pouches and pockets to carry extra things but not too much so that she is not encumbered. 

Here are some sketches I came up with: 

The color scheme is not at all final. I just stuck with light and dark for simplicity's sake. Dark material is tougher material like leather or something while the lighter material is softer like cotton or something.

Any thoughts or critiques on overall designs? Any favorites here?

Also here is what I previously settled on: 

What I don't like about it is that it's not rugged enough in my opinion and too "professional" looking. The top armor kind of bugs me the most there. Also, it's just not stylistically interesting to me.