Home Career & Education

Which program should I start with? ( 3dsmax, Blender, Maya )

Hello,
I want to start game asset modelling like charachters, cars, etc. But i dont know how or where should i start. Actually i can create realistic architecturel interior or exterior scenes in 3dsmax. I can model buildings, interior furnitures except organic models like sofas and beds. I know lighting and texturing. So this is my main question ; Should i contiune with 3dsmax or start learning maya or blender ? So i have many questions to ask and if u want to listen, i can ask everything.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    take the path of least resistance and only climb a hill if there is a good reason to. 

In other words, you know max and it is fine tool for making the new types of models you want to make so stick with it. 

If you have a strong reason to learn maya or blender or something else like, for example: you want to avoid subscription cost, maybe try learning blender; or you want a job at a specific studio and they only use maya, then learn maya; or you want to get serious about animation, maybe start dabbling with maya; etc. 
  • Dhoine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:
    take the path of least resistance and only climb a hill if there is a good reason to. 

In other words, you know max and it is fine tool for making the new types of models you want to make so stick with it. 

If you have a strong reason to learn maya or blender or something else like, for example: you want to avoid subscription cost, maybe try learning blender; or you want a job at a specific studio and they only use maya, then learn maya; or you want to get serious about animation, maybe start dabbling with maya; etc. 
    Yeah, actually i want to continue with 3dsmax. But i cant find enough tutorial for character, car or any game asset modelling. Most of the 3dsmax modelling tutorials are about the architecture. Because of this, i can't decide to continue with 3dsmax.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    If you already know 3ds Max just stick with max, if a company will require you to use other software then you can always switch. If you are planning on making high poly models as well then take a look at the zbrush or fusion workflows.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    "Yeah, actually i want to continue with 3dsmax. But i cant find enough tutorial for character, car or any game asset modelling."

Look harder, there is about 20 years of such content out there.
    Start with this one : https://3dtotal.com/tutorials/box-sets/joan-of-arc
  • Tiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth
    Ah, memories. Joan of arc is the tutorial that has teached me proper character modeling over 15 years ago. But with trueSpace, not Max. And that's the point. Don't limit yourself to a software when you search for tutorials how to model. Most modeling techniques are software agnostic. Box modeling is Box modeling, and a mesh is a mesh, no matter in what software.

But for character creation you might want to use a sculpting software like ZBrush or 3D Coat nowadays. Well, you can still start with the traditional approach and model a base mesh first. But you need it for the fine details anyways, to bake all the map types from. And tools like Substance Painter is nowadays used for the texture work.
  • Dhoine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are many indie company in my country that use blender. Some of them just using blender and some of them using maya, 3dsmax or blender. But all of them accept blender because of avoiding subscription cost. Because of this facts, i want to learn blender too. Would it be difficult to learn 3dsmax and blender at the same time?
  • Tiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiles greentooth
    Well. The matter of 3d is complicated enough. Learning two equal software simultaneously will just confuse you even more. So best is to stick with one software until you hit a limit that you can't work around.
  • Dhoine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your comments. Im gonna continue with 3dsmax and learn zbrush after.